Thread poster: Sarah McDowell

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:58
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2014

I received an e-mail today supposedly from PayPal from the address paypal@e.paypal.ca . The e-mail subject line was "(my name) take a look at your 2013 PayPal activity." How I knew it was a fake is because my name was not capitalized properly and the "summary" of my transactions for 2013 was not even correct.

If you get an e-mail like this you should delete it right away.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:58
French to English
+ ...
Report phishing attempts to PayPal Feb 6, 2014

Sarah McDowell wrote:

If you get an e-mail like this you should delete it right away.

Actually, rather than deleting it immediately, you ought to forward it (complete with full headers and possibly even source code) to the PayPal phishing alert address (it's given somewhere on the PayPal page, under security, I think) — they take these sort of things very seriously, and the more people who report it, the more likely any one given scammer is to get blocked.

Once you have reported it, then do of course delete it right away!

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:58
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Tony M Feb 6, 2014

These things should be reported wherever possible. These and other types of scams are often perpetrated by organized criminal organizations, not semi-literate con (wo)men, even if that is the impression they give. They make millions on this kind of thing, and should be stopped, if possible.

Paypal phishing reports --> https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?articleID=94034&

Below is a link to a long list of other places to report scams. Paypal isn't included, but it's handy to have for the next attempt, which nowadays is a given.

http://spamlinks.net/track-report-addresses.htm

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Partly agree Feb 6, 2014

I partly agree with Tony. In particular, it may be useful to include the header of the phishing email when you report it. The way to find the header will depend on the email software you're using. It could be an option or link called something like "View full header", "See full text". The header contains "fields", each beginning with a title, a colon, and some text. Examples:
MIME-Version: 1.0
Reply-To: ....
In particular it contains a number of
Received: from ...
fields, and I can usually find where the email really originated by finding the correct IP address in such a field and using http://en.utrace.de to find its location.

However, I don't see the point of deleting such an email immediately. If its mere existence is harmful (unlikely), the harm has probably already been done. If you've clicked on a "naughty" link in it or activated an attachment to it, the harm has been done and deleting the email won't reverse that. I receive "phishing" emails that claim to come, for example, from banks, the UK tax authorities, a parcels delivery service. I keep a few of them as "museum pieces". When I report them to the phishing department of the institution, I also quote the header before the email itself, marking the header with:
------------ start of header of original email -------------
*** the contents of the header here ***
----------- end of header -------------------

Oliver

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi everyone Feb 6, 2014

Actually, I sent the e-mail on to spoof@paypal.com. I just didn't mention that in my post here.

(Edited to change e-mail address typo)

[Edited at 2014-02-06 22:54 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Way to go, but... Feb 6, 2014

The correct address is spoof@paypal.com . They'll send a thank-you message in return.

Just make sure you FORWARD the entire message as-is.

No need to bother about investigating where it came from.

Just check:
  • If it is addressed exactly to your full name spelled exactly as registered with PayPal, it should be legit;
  • If it starts with "Dear XXX", XXX being what comes before the @ in your e-mail, it's fake. Same applies to "Dear User", "Dear Valued Customer", etc.

AND...

• If it tells you to login normally to your PayPal account and do something there afterwards, it's probably legit;
  • If it asks you for any information in reply to that e-mail OR gives you a link to click on, it is certainly a fake. Don't click, and watch out!

Sarah McDowell wrote:

Actually, I sent the e-mail on to spoofs@paypal.com. I just didn't mention that in my post here.

• Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
    Canada
    Member (2012)
    Russian to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Hi Jose Feb 6, 2014

Actually, I meant spoof@paypal.com. I just checked my sent messages folder and I got it right and received a message saying that they have received my report. I just misspelled it when typing it here.

This one was very sneaky because it was written to me and had my name spelled correctly except that the D in my name was written in lowercase and it is always capitalized.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New scam e-mail from PayPal

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
    CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs
    • Forums
    • Multiple search