Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
spam from translators
Thread poster: Gretel Schoukens

Gretel Schoukens  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 06:16
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 11, 2014

Hello,

Already a few months I get 3, 4 messages a day like this:

"Dear Service Provider,
I am XXX, I am a proficient EnglishBulgarian and EnglishGerman translator and vice versa.
I provide translation and proofreading services for those companies who are in need for such services.
I believe that you are in need for a professional translator who is available any time to take your projects and implement your demands.
I am here for you. I offer my services for the benefit of your company.
My work has always been organized and well done as I make a great effort to reach my target.
My skills in languages, computer software/hardware and CAT Tools especially Trados makes me the perfect person for your assignments.
If you are interested, please see my attached CV to have more information.
I am available for your questions and translation projects any time.
Regards,"

They are almost always send from a gmail-account and there is no way to unsubscribe or to block them. Does somebody recognize them and know where they come from? Did I register once on a website for translators, which is sending now this kind of e-mails to me?

Thank you!


 

Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Local time: 06:16
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
Emails are not from translators Feb 11, 2014

Hi Gretel,

The emails are not coming from translators but from someone/some company that has stolen their credentials (CV) and is pretending to be them in order to get work, sending out these emails en masse. For all intents and purposes, it is spam. Please see this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/230462-scam_alert:_freelancers_and_agencies_please_beware_of_a_scammer_impersonating_real_translators.html


 

Stijn Claerhout  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:16
French to Dutch
+ ...
Same thing here Feb 11, 2014

Hi Gretel,

I've got exactly the same problem. MAAAAN is this annoying. I'm really afraid they might send a virus in the PDF file in attachment.

But so far I haven't found a way to block them. I add them to the 'unwanted' list in Outlook, I can only hope that the hotmail or gmail scanner one day picks it up and blocks that user

best regards,

Stijn


 

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translators Feb 11, 2014

I often receive this kind of emails too.

I take them as young translators looking for a job, offering their services to senior translators. Why consider they spam?


 

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They are a fishing scam Feb 11, 2014

Walter Landesman wrote:

I often receive this kind of emails too.

I take them as young translators looking for a job, offering their servvices to senior translators. Why consider they spam?


Walter, we usually receive 5-10 e-mails a day like these. They all come from gmail addresses, almost all of them begin with "Dear Sir/Madam" and their formatting, fonts, etc. is very similar. Besides, it is not uncommon for the same "applicant" to e-mail you all week, including week-ends.

You can see how it works here: http://www.jrdias.com/jrd-translator-scammers.htm

Regards,
Andrés


 

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
NOT SURE YET. Feb 11, 2014

Andres & Leticia Enjuto wrote:

Walter, we usually receive 5-10 e-mails a day like these. They all come from gmail addresses, almost all of them begin with "Dear Sir/Madam" and their formatting, fonts, etc. is very similar. Besides, it is not uncommon for the same "applicant" to e-mail you all week, including week-ends.

You can see how it works here: http://www.jrdias.com/jrd-translator-scammers.htm

Regards,
Andrés


You might be right, Andrés. Or wrong. A legit colleague may send a massive email too. And not being an agency/company, he/she may have a gmail/hotmail/yahoo account.

What you say may make sense if they sent it to prospective clients, but not to other translators.

Anyway, I don't receive that many emails of this kind. So, since I don't know them and I don't need them, I just delete them.


 

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No doubt at all in my case Feb 11, 2014

Walter Landesman wrote:

Andres & Leticia Enjuto wrote:

Walter, we usually receive 5-10 e-mails a day like these. They all come from gmail addresses, almost all of them begin with "Dear Sir/Madam" and their formatting, fonts, etc. is very similar. Besides, it is not uncommon for the same "applicant" to e-mail you all week, including week-ends.

You can see how it works here: http://www.jrdias.com/jrd-translator-scammers.htm

Regards,
Andrés


You might be right, Andrés. Or wrong. A legit colleague may send a massive email too. And not being an agency/company, he/she may have a gmail/hotmail/yahoo account.

What you say may make sense if they sent it to prospective clients, but not to other translators.

Anyway, I don't receive that many emails of this kind. So, since I don't know them and I don't need them, I just delete them.


At first, I was also cautious not to judge too fast. But this has been going on for a year or so now. And we are not talking about one mass e-mail. In this case, one e-mail address (mine, yours, etc.) receives many different e-mails. And all of them have the THE SAME FORMAT and structure. They only change the text, the gmail address, the signer and the language combination. I never opened the CVs, but I suspect they are all very similar as well.

You can think it this way: what are the odds you receive, within a 10-minute time frame, several e-mails sent by translators from (allegedly) different parts of the world, all starting with the same general greeting, and all with almost the same subject matter (like "New AB>CD translator"?
What are the odds this happens week after week for one year?

The only real thing in these e-mails are the names of the translators, but that's because the scammers steal them.

Best,
Andrés


 

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very few.... Feb 11, 2014

Andres & Leticia Enjuto wrote:
At first, I was also cautious not to judge too fast. But this has been going on for a year or so now. And we are not talking about one mass e-mail. In this case, one e-mail address (mine, yours, etc.) receives many different e-mails. And all of them have the THE SAME FORMAT and structure. They only change the text, the gmail address, the signer and the language combination. I never opened the CVs, but I suspect they are all very similar as well.

You can think it this way: what are the odds you receive, within a 10-minute time frame, several e-mails sent by translators from (allegedly) different parts of the world, all starting with the same general greeting, and all with almost the same subject matter (like "New AB>CD translator"?
What are the odds this happens week after week for one year?



Oops, that's right, very few.icon_smile.gif

I didn't know you got that many. I may receive 1-2 a month. That changes everythig, you are right!


 

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your case may be different... Feb 11, 2014

Walter Landesman wrote:

I may receive 1-2 a month.


Walter, if you receive 1-2 applications a month, they may be legitimate! Just check they don't have the same uniform formatting/feel.

Have a great day,
Andrés


 

Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Local time: 06:16
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
99% spam Feb 11, 2014

I have located several translators whose email and CV arrived in my inbox. Not surprisingly, the phone numbers on the CV provided were not real (I called quite a few and they were all wrong numbers) and the emails all came from the same IP address. I did manage to find a few here on Proz, and they were unaware that their information was being used.

 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is spam Feb 11, 2014

Without ever having requested a single CV or offered any positions, my email address ended up in the list of some spammer who apparently is either phishing or selling the list to unconscious translators who feel it is OK to canibalise my time. I treat all these emails as spam in all respects.

 

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:16
English to Polish
+ ...
Could even be impostors using MT for the jobs they get Feb 13, 2014

As per title.

 

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:16
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What are they trying to fish then? Feb 13, 2014

Andres & Leticia Enjuto wrote:

Walter Landesman wrote:

I often receive this kind of emails too.

I take them as young translators looking for a job, offering their servvices to senior translators. Why consider they spam?


Walter, we usually receive 5-10 e-mails a day like these. They all come from gmail addresses, almost all of them begin with "Dear Sir/Madam" and their formatting, fonts, etc. is very similar. Besides, it is not uncommon for the same "applicant" to e-mail you all week, including week-ends.

You can see how it works here: http://www.jrdias.com/jrd-translator-scammers.htm

Regards,
Andrés


 

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:16
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
They pretend to be individual translators Feb 13, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Without ever having requested a single CV or offered any positions, my email address ended up in the list of some spammer who apparently is either phishing or selling the list to unconscious translators who feel it is OK to canibalise my time. I treat all these emails as spam in all respects.


What list are they trying to sell?


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spammer services Feb 13, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Without ever having requested a single CV or offered any positions, my email address ended up in the list of some spammer who apparently is either phishing or selling the list to unconscious translators who feel it is OK to canibalise my time. I treat all these emails as spam in all respects.

What list are they trying to sell?

There are several services out there who sell lists of "interested agencies" (or an email delivery service, for that matter) to irresponsible translators who think it is OK to spam around. I treat those as spam in all respects.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spam from translators

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search