Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 21:20
Romanian to English
+ ...
May 21, 2014

--
Hello,

My name is Dr Jerry Hernandez, a private person searching for a translator that can help me work on my projects.
I have 2 document that needs translation, the documents are titled TERRORISM and GUN CONTROL (CAUSES AND SOLUTION). The document have 13984 words and 20309 words respectively.
These articles are needed for a seminar. The first article deadline is 20th of June 2014 while the deadline for the second document is yet to be decided.
The articles will be translated from English to Moldovan but i will want us to handle it one after the other but will like to have quote per word and the total charges for the 2 document together because the payment will be issued together in advance in other not to cause any delay whatsoever when conclusion is reached on the second document.
The mode of Payment for the projects is through American Bank Check.

Kindly confirm your availability if you would like to help with the articles.

Thanks,
DR, Jerry Hernandez,
76 Topland Road,
Hartsdale, NY 10530
+19173000384

He is from New York, a doctor but writes „i”, „20th of June 2014”, „The document have 13984 words and 20309 words respectively.”

Scam, scam, scam !

Carina Alencar
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
not the first time May 22, 2014

I have also received this email. I received a very similar one before but from a different identity. Since I am new to translating I am curious as to what these people are trying to accomplish? It seemed obvious to me that I shouldnt touch this, and just trashed it. Is the intent to spread a virus, hack into my computer or something like that?

jotranslator  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:20
Russian to English
+ ...
probably an advance payment scam May 22, 2014

Carina Alencar wrote:

I have also received this email. I received a very similar one before but from a different identity. Since I am new to translating I am curious as to what these people are trying to accomplish? It seemed obvious to me that I shouldnt touch this, and just trashed it. Is the intent to spread a virus, hack into my computer or something like that?

If you agree to the job the scammer will request to pay you part up front and then send you a (fake) check for way over the agreed amount "by mistake" and ask you to wire the difference back to him, of course if you do the check bounces because it is a fake.

Daniela Mochny
Brazil
Local time: 22:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I also received May 22, 2014

I received the very same letter!
Watch out, translators.
Daniela

Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:20
English to Czech
+ ...
Overpayment scam May 22, 2014

Carina: it's called overpayment scam - works as described by the person above me.
It's an old trick, you'll find loads of info and sad stories all over the internet.

[Edited at 2014-05-22 23:19 GMT]

Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks! May 24, 2014

Thanks for the tip. I received this e-mail today, too. Even the word counts in the purported documents are the same!

Alexander Demyanov
English
+ ...
Same guy May 24, 2014

I got the same email today and went as far as calling the phone number. A man answered and said he is Dr. Jerry Hernandes.

Looks like the usual scam to me.

I also asked him to provide some reference, like his clinic or hospital web page URL.

Don't think he will ever get back to me.

[Edited at 2014-05-24 22:41 GMT]

mboszko  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scammer Oct 3, 2015

It seems like Jerry Hernandez has resurrected and is back to his old tricks. My rule of thumb is not to reply to requests for work unless they come from a bona fide source that I can verify. If it sounds fishy, it is.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammer - Dr.Hernandez

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search