How to identify a scam
Thread poster: olivia abreu
olivia abreu
olivia abreu  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 14, 2014

Hello there, this is my first time posting. The story goes like this: all of the sudden I have a new client requesting a translation job. He send me a copy of the article to be translated, 5610 words, I send him my quote, he agreed, I'm about to start when I realized the article is a copy and paste from Wikipedia. Payment method: he is located at Ukrania, will ask his accountant to send me through regular mail a Bank Check in US dollars, requested my full name and address. At this point I j... See more
Hello there, this is my first time posting. The story goes like this: all of the sudden I have a new client requesting a translation job. He send me a copy of the article to be translated, 5610 words, I send him my quote, he agreed, I'm about to start when I realized the article is a copy and paste from Wikipedia. Payment method: he is located at Ukrania, will ask his accountant to send me through regular mail a Bank Check in US dollars, requested my full name and address. At this point I just don't know if this is a scam or not.
Please help!!!!!
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:26
English to Czech
+ ...
Overpayment scam Nov 14, 2014

Olivia, that's the very classics of scams, just google "overpayment scam".
Cheers,
Katarzyna

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:26
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Overpayment scam Nov 14, 2014

Hi Olivia,
Please start reading here and look at the linked references. This can save you time and money.
Regards,
Enrique

olivia abreu
olivia abreu  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 14, 2014

Omg.....what a naive person I am!!! You are so right Katarzyna; very helpful the link you send me Enrique

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:26
French to Spanish
+ ...
Don't beat yourself up. Nov 15, 2014

olivia abreu wrote:

Omg.....what a naive person I am!!!

Not naive, dear olivia, just a person willing to work, as all of us. Just be careful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to identify a scam

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »