Italy
Local time: 23:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 9, 2015

I got this e-mail right now:

"Hello,

Hope this e-mail finds you well.

I got your e-mail address from my colleague.

We are a looking for a translator for a translation project in the medical field it> en.

Please find attached the source text for the trial. You can send it back to me at your earliest convenience.

Awaiting your confirmation.

Thank You,
Francoise"

I think it could be a scam. Has anyone else received similar e-mails?

Benedetta

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Not necessarily a scam Mar 9, 2015

Benedetta, you are right to be wary, and although I haven't received this particular request, I have in the past received many similar requests which turned out in fact to be legitimate, but just from very unprofessional agencies. Personally, I do'nt usually bother with them any more, but if you are interested in investigating further, I would simply recommend proceeding with caution.

My first step would be to look at the attached file — first of all, by inspecting the name of it, to check it isn't some obvious virus-carrying .exe file; then if it looks like an OK doc etc., trying to open it (maybe in WordPad or something to avoid any potentially infected macros) and check the very end — does the document seem to come to a logical finish? Almost all the 'random text' scam files I've received have been simply truncated at a random point.

If so far it looks like a genuine file, the next thing I always do is copy a typical section from it, ideally using fairly distinctive terminology, phrasing, etc. and try a Google seacrh to see if the text is readily available out there in Google-land.

Both of these tests have enabled me to detect attempted scams without even having to contact the sender.

Of course, you should also check the sender's IP address using one of the WhoIS? look-up services, to see if their location is at least vaguely plausible with respect to their request, and to check that they are not in one of the 'high-risk' countries.

After that, if the job is interesting for you, then you may want to spend the time researching a little further; the fact that the sender doesn't give any readily-verifiable identification information is indeed a BIG warning sign — though I have known even legitimate agencies being just as slapdash!

Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
What is actually the problem? Mar 9, 2015

Did this Francoise include any details about who he represents?
Does he write from a private email address?
If 1st is No and 2nd Yes, I'd be very suspicious. Definitely wouldn't open the attachment.
What's definitely harmless (correct me if I'm wrong) is asking who he is. Than you can compare what he says with the data in the email header etc.
But investigating the attachment as Tony advices would be the very last thing I would do.
Good luck,
Katarzyna

benedetta74
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both.... Mar 9, 2015

In fact, the first thing I did was to ask him who was this 'collegue' who sent him my e-mail address, and he simply disappeared!

Next time I'll use your advice. When I first opened the e-mail, I was very suspicious!

Thank you both for the useful information you gave me!

Benedetta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam!!!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search