Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Invoice from "Professional Translator" 40049@bk.ru aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov
Thread poster: Anthony Baldwin

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:38
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 13, 2015

I received an invoice for $10.34 via paypal from a purported "Professional Translator" at e-mail, 40049@bk.ru, supposedly one Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov.
I've never hired any such translator.
No such translator is listed in my providers.
I have not outsourced a single project all year this year, nor last year, only occasionally outsourcing work.
(I do 99% of all work that comes through my small agency, in general).
Furthermore, my agency only works in ES, FR and PT -> US EN; I take no Any language to/from RU projects, ever,
and have never, ever hired a single provider from Russia.

I can only suppose this is an attempt to elicit small payments from agencies not smart enough to check an invoice?
There is no PO number or further information about the supposed project on which Mr. Victor claims to have worked.

The only information offered at all with the invoice being in a note bearing the following text:
Thank you for ordering my translation, I really appreciate doing business with you. Payment is expected within 21 days of receiving this invoice, so please process this invoice within that time. Please note that there will be a 1.5% interest charge per month on late invoices.

I must assume that others are seeing this.

These kinds of scams are rarely foisted on a single victim.

Not that this could be considered conclusive, but I've searched proz.com and there is no such person (Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov) listed here.
I've only ever hired providers found on proz.com.

[Edited at 2015-03-13 12:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-13 12:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-13 12:57 GMT]

A google search for "Professional Translator 40049@bk.ru aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov" gives no result, except for this forum thread.

[Edited at 2015-03-13 12:59 GMT]

Vassilis Paraskevas
Local time: 20:38
Greek to English
+ ...
Same here Mar 13, 2015

Hello - I received the same, and he has made a payment claim on Paypal as well.

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
canceled Mar 13, 2015

I was able to simply cancel the invoice in paypal.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:38
French to English
+ ...
Report to PayPal Mar 13, 2015

You probably ought to report it to their security service as well; if this person does send out multiple false payment requests, they'll certainly want to know about it! And they are the only ones in a position to put a stop to it, simply by closing his PayPal account; they might also need to reimburse a few people if they've been defrauded.

Sonia Haase
United States
Local time: 12:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
me too Mar 13, 2015

I just got an invoice too, glad i am not the only one receiving this. I suspected it to be an scam because I have not hired someone with that email. Most of my freelancers are from the US.

Vassilis Paraskevas
Greek to English
+ ...
implications on paypal? Mar 13, 2015

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

I was able to simply cancel the invoice in paypal.

Yes, I cancelled it too. Of course, I don't know the possible implications of having a "cancelled" payment on your Paypal status...

Iosif JUHASZ  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Invoice from "Professional Translator" 40049@bk.ru aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov Mar 13, 2015

Hi,

I also received an Invoice via my Paypal account from this person Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov, whom I never met neither in person, nor thru the internet and I never ordered anything from him.

Pay attention to him!

I cancelled his invoice. I reported the issue to Paypal.

[Edited at 2015-03-13 14:43 GMT]

Vassilis Paraskevas
Greek to English
+ ...
2nd invoice!!!! Mar 13, 2015

I just got another invoice from the same guy (via a different email connected to my Paypal account) !!!!

Progressus  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:38
Same here Mar 13, 2015

Received the exact same message. Reported to PayPal.

Marie-Stephanie Proulx  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2007)
English to French
Same thing here Mar 13, 2015

I just received the same message. Reported it immediately to Paypal.

sogedicom
France
Member (2006)
English
We received the same request Mar 13, 2015

We received the same request. We are going to report it to Paypal.

Matthew Schlecht  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Japanese to English
+ ...
PayPal Invoice from "Professional Translator" <40049@bk.ru> Mar 13, 2015

I got one of these this morning, also. I also canceled the invoice and contacted PayPal Fraud Department.
This is an old scam that seems to have found translators now.
In the past, shady organizations would contact someone with news of, for example, several unpaid months of telephone service in some city, sometimes even a city where the person has never lived.
The amount is usually small, under $50, and comes with a warning that non-payment will lead to a negative credit agency report. The relatively low amount coupled with the implied threat of more severe consequences for non-payment (here the 1.5%/month interest) is sufficient to convince people to pay up and avoid any headaches.
If this guy convinces 10 people to pay up, he has made $107.40.
If 100 people, the take will be $1074.00. Not bad for just clicking on the button!

deneeraj
India
Local time: 23:08
False Invoice sent via paypal by 40094@bk.ru Mar 13, 2015

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

I received an invoice for $10.34 via paypal from a purported "Professional Translator" at e-mail, 40049@bk.ru, supposedly one Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov.
I've never hired any such translator.
No such translator is listed in my providers.
I have not outsourced a single project all year this year, nor last year, only occasionally outsourcing work.
(I do 99% of all work that comes through my small agency, in general).
Furthermore, my agency only works in ES, FR and PT -> US EN; I take no Any language to/from RU projects, ever,
and have never, ever hired a single provider from Russia.

I can only suppose this is an attempt to elicit small payments from agencies not smart enough to check an invoice?
There is no PO number or further information about the supposed project on which Mr. Victor claims to have worked.

The only information offered at all with the invoice being in a note bearing the following text:
Thank you for ordering my translation, I really appreciate doing business with you. Payment is expected within 21 days of receiving this invoice, so please process this invoice within that time. Please note that there will be a 1.5% interest charge per month on late invoices.

I must assume that others are seeing this.

These kinds of scams are rarely foisted on a single victim.

Not that this could be considered conclusive, but I've searched proz.com and there is no such person (Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov) listed here.
I've only ever hired providers found on proz.com.

[Edited at 2015-03-13 12:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-13 12:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-13 12:57 GMT]

A google search for "Professional Translator 40049@bk.ru aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov" gives no result, except for this forum thread.

[Edited at 2015-03-13 12:59 GMT]

We have received false invoice of $10.34 via paypal by 40094@bk.ru , but we have never worked with Mr. Victor and can not find any other clue to reach him.

"Note from Professional Translator

Thank you for ordering my translation, I really appreciate doing business with you. Payment is expected within 21 days of receiving this invoice, so please process this invoice within that time. Please note that there will be a 1.5% interest charge per month on late invoices."

Tanya Toneva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
same here Mar 13, 2015

I received the exact same invoice via PayPal a few minutes ago! Only mine did not even include any actual name - just this "Professional translator", the amount to be paid (10.83 USD) and the text in the note that Anthony quoted... I googled his email address 40049@bk.ru and that's how I came to this thread... Unbelievable how resourceful scammers can get!
A few years ago I wrote an article to share my experience with translation scams and hopefully help other translators avoid scammers pitfalls:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3227/
Never seen such point-blank approach before though - no prior communication, no fake translation enquiry - straight to invoice stage this time!icon_smile.gif

Thanks to Anthony for starting this thread so promptly after receiving the scam email - and of course to everyone else who shared their experiences. I am sure it will be just as helpful to others as it was to me.

EDIT: When I proceeded to cancel the invoice in PayPal and report this user, there was an error message above the invoice saying: "This recipient is currently unable to receive money." I still cancelled the invoices anyway (yes, there were two of them actually)

[Edited at 2015-03-13 15:25 GMT]

Katrien Hendrickx  Identity Verified
Belgium
Japanese to Dutch
+ ...
Me too, I received the same message. Mar 13, 2015

I never hire translators and neither did I request a translation for myself.
So I started to search the name and saw your messages.

But, what should I do now?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoice from "Professional Translator" 40049@bk.ru aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search