Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:43
French to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2015

Andypd from gmx.co.uk just sent me this email:

And vernon very kindly did not. I thought you didnt, we repaired once more to th� hotel.

http://aqua***********************8

(link censored as a precaution)

Haven't clicked on it. Came through on the work email address. Could only really have come from here.

Did anyone else get this and find out more about Verno
... See more
Andypd from gmx.co.uk just sent me this email:

And vernon very kindly did not. I thought you didnt, we repaired once more to th� hotel.

http://aqua***********************8

(link censored as a precaution)

Haven't clicked on it. Came through on the work email address. Could only really have come from here.

Did anyone else get this and find out more about Vernon? I'm ever so curious...
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Curiously enough Mar 27, 2015

the sentence "And Vernon very kindly did not" was taken from a Rudyard Kipling book (The Complete Stalky & Co)...

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Curiouser and curiouser Mar 27, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

the sentence "And Vernon very kindly did not" was taken from a Rudyard Kipling book (The Complete Stalky & Co)...

Perhaps it's not a scam.... but I don't know anyone called Andy... and no-one owns gmx.co.uk

If anyone feels like opening the link, I'm sort of happy to send it on because I'm really quite curious now (luckily it's Friday so the curiousity should die down in about 2.5 hrs)

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:43
German to English
Could be a genuine error Mar 27, 2015

The address auto-fill algorithm in my version of Thunderbird has been defective ever since the last update. I frequently write to a friend whose email begins with "pl", but sometimes the auto-fill has entered the address of a colleague whose domain name contains the letters "pl" (well into the domain name!). This has happened in other instances as well when I've been dashing off a quick note to a family member, friend or colleague. As a consequence random people in my address book have received ... See more
The address auto-fill algorithm in my version of Thunderbird has been defective ever since the last update. I frequently write to a friend whose email begins with "pl", but sometimes the auto-fill has entered the address of a colleague whose domain name contains the letters "pl" (well into the domain name!). This has happened in other instances as well when I've been dashing off a quick note to a family member, friend or colleague. As a consequence random people in my address book have received messages like "When are we meeting at the park?"

On the other hand, it could be a scam or the result of a spam bot/virus on someone's computer.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
GMX Mar 27, 2015

http://www.gmx.com/company/about/#.1559516-footer-nav1-1

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't click Mar 27, 2015

This seems like a bot generated email generated specifically not to trigger spam filtering my advice would be not to click on it.

You should never click on an email link unless you absolutely trust the sender, there are too many nasty things that could happen.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
No thanks!!! Mar 27, 2015

interpretwhisky wrote:
If anyone feels like opening the link, I'm sort of happy to send it on

Keep it to yourself - like a dose of the flu (or worse....).

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Stay safe Mar 30, 2015

The Golden Rule is to never click on any link sent by an unknown person. Or, in case that known person's email had been hacked, never click on a suspicious link, e. g. the famous "I saw it on Ophra" or the "Dear Customer" emails from banks or PayPal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sketchy email about a chap called Vernon

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »