a phone scam or spoof
Thread poster: Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
German to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2015

Apparently there is a scam whereby telemarketers take random imaginary numbers, and use these numbers to show up as caller ID. Mine has been used since Tuesday. I have been getting calls from people telling me "stop calling" them - most having had about 5 calls from whomever. One caller was calling me from Saudia Arabia. Another did not speak English and said he speaks "India" - so I assume he was from that region. Whatever this is, it seems to be international.

I was told a wh
... See more
Apparently there is a scam whereby telemarketers take random imaginary numbers, and use these numbers to show up as caller ID. Mine has been used since Tuesday. I have been getting calls from people telling me "stop calling" them - most having had about 5 calls from whomever. One caller was calling me from Saudia Arabia. Another did not speak English and said he speaks "India" - so I assume he was from that region. Whatever this is, it seems to be international.

I was told a while back that land lines are more prone to this than cell phones. I don't have a cell phone but I'm thinking of getting one.

Thing is, a large proportion of end clients call me by phone, so I can't switch off the ringer.

As a matter of interest, the anti-fraud department here told me that fraudulent use of phone numbers in this way is not against the law. He asked me to talk to my MP (member of parliament) to have this changed.

My early mornings have been interrupted the last few days by "call-backs". The hours make me think this is coming from overseas (i.e. not North America) rather than my own time zone.
Collapse

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Change your phone number! Jul 10, 2015

Your phone number seems to have got into bad hands. If it was a random pick up, changing the number and keeping it out of the telephone directory should solve the problem.
Good Luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a phone scam or spoof

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »