How to report a fraud message through Proz.com from non member?
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:41
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Aug 7, 2015

I've just received a Nigerian Fraud letter from a "felicia via ProZ.com", and I am, of course, not pleased that it was stopped by Proz, but rather forwarded to me.

In the heading of the message it says from ProZ:

"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: felicia [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 41.190.14.17"

I have tried to find somewhere on ProZ where I could report such activity so that the IP address could be blocked, especially since the person is not a ProZ.com user, but have not found it.

Can anyone advice me what to do? (I'll mark it as spam in gmail, of course, but still.)

Roy

Direct link Reply with quote

ana raquel  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same happened to me Aug 7, 2015

Hi Roy,

I just had the same problem. She also sent me this message. Since this is clearly a money scam, I reported the message as spam, blocked her (you have the links for both at the end of the email she sent you) and I also sent a message to Proz (a support request) to let them know what is going on.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Count me as another Aug 7, 2015

I've also just received a scam letter from poor Miss Felicia.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Me too Aug 7, 2015

I heard from poor Felicia too. There's a link to Proz's scam-reporting mechanism at the bottom of the scam message - just click on it and it will be reported to Proz automatically and the sender will be blocked from contacting you again.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi folks Aug 7, 2015

Poor Felicia has been blocked already.

Natalia

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hadn't noticd the spam link at the bottom Aug 7, 2015

ana raquel wrote:
I just had the same problem. She also sent me this message. Since this is clearly a money scam, I reported the message as spam, blocked her (you have the links for both at the end of the email she sent you) and I also sent a message to Proz (a support request) to let them know what is going on.

Thanks a lot. I should not need to do anything more, then. Good.

And "poor Miss Felicia"? I would not call a person involved in fraud "poor", actually. And for all I know "she" is really a "he".

Roy

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:41
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

How to report a message from a sender who is not logged into the Site Aug 7, 2015

When you submit a Support request (select "Report abuse" from the dropdown menu), you should include the IP address, so ProZ staff can track down the sender and block them.

In this case, however, as Natalia reports, "Felicia" has already been caught and blocked. At least until the scammer logs onto the Site from a different IP. The faster you report the scam message, the sooner the scammer can be blocked.

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Felicia is already reported Aug 7, 2015

Yolanda Broad wrote:

When you submit a Support request (select "Report abuse" from the dropdown menu), you should include the IP address, so ProZ staff can track down the sender and block them.

In this case, however, as Natalia reports, "Felicia" has already been caught and blocked. At least until the scammer logs onto the Site from a different IP. The faster you report the scam message, the sooner the scammer can be blocked.

Thanks for the advice. I have already reported her but didn't notice the drop down menu, probably because she was already registered.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to report a fraud message through Proz.com from non member?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search