Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:03
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 22, 2015

Hello,
A ouple of days ago I received an e-mail from the above mentioned address offering me his services (e-mail signed only as "Afnan"). I replied telling that I am a freelancer, not an agency, and yesterday this person wrote me back this:

"dear Serena ,

thanks for your reply , are you a translator ? Please let me know your language pairs and price per word !

regards,
Afnan"

I don't know how this person got my e-mail and I can't f
... See more
Hello,
A ouple of days ago I received an e-mail from the above mentioned address offering me his services (e-mail signed only as "Afnan"). I replied telling that I am a freelancer, not an agency, and yesterday this person wrote me back this:

"dear Serena ,

thanks for your reply , are you a translator ? Please let me know your language pairs and price per word !

regards,
Afnan"

I don't know how this person got my e-mail and I can't find any website/information referred to Key Translation/Translation Key; I checked this e-mail address and it's not on the Translator Scammers directory, though I still have a bad feeling about it, because of
a) lacking information;
b) in the first e-mail this person claims to be a translator and few sentences later the subject becomes "we" as they were a group of translators;
c) this was the subject: "FW: Collaboration / Project translation and proofreading from and into many languages for very competitive rates"

Has someone received a similar e-mail from this address?
Thank you for reading this loooong post and for your feedback!
Collapse

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 07:03
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
. Sep 22, 2015

I would just ignore it and treat it as spam

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:03
English to Thai
+ ...
Proz security checks Sep 22, 2015

Serena Basili wrote:

I don't know how this person got my e-mail and I can't find any website/information referred to Key Translation/Translation Key; I checked this e-mail address and it's not on the Translator Scammers directory, though I still have a bad feeling about it, because of
a) lacking information;
b) in the first e-mail this person claims to be a translator and few sentences later the subject becomes "we" as they were a group of translators;
c) this was the subject: "FW: Collaboration / Project translation and proofreading from and into many languages for very competitive rates"

Proz.com has good ways to check reliability of agencies e.g. confirmation of IP address. Please search on relevant Proz directories.

Soonthon L.

Serena Basili
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shukran Noura! Sep 22, 2015

This is exactly what I'm doing, I just wanted to share my experience with others - By the way I am so happy that I haven't put my business details (VAT no, address etc...) at the end of the e-mail!

Youm sa3id!

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Laylah saeedah... Sep 22, 2015

... to you as well

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Why should you anyway? Sep 22, 2015

Serena Basili wrote:

By the way I am so happy that I haven't put my business details (VAT no, address etc...) at the end of the e-mail!

Serena Basili
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Elif Sep 23, 2015

I don't know actually, it just looks more professional I think lol

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mail received from [email protected]

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »