Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Two voices of wisdom Feb 3, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

I don't understand why people would consider for even one fraction of a second working for someone with a free email address (gmail, hotmail, etc.) and no other VERIFIED contact information.

Always ask for an alternative business email address, or verify their telephone number, or ask for mailing address documentation (id card, etc.).

Tony M wrote:

Tempting as it may be to 'play' with these scammers, it is highly indavisable to respond in any way — to start with, it will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on them, it is just like water of a duck's back!

BUT if you reply, what you do is validate your e-mail addrs for them — which suddenly makes it a saleable commodity, thus ensuring that you WILL receive plenty more scam requests in the future.

Regards,
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A spoonful of risk management Feb 3, 2016

1. NEVER accept a job from someone contacting you unless you get verifiable contact information AND you verify it.

2. NEVER accept a job that requires any kind of payment or refund of money from your part.

3. NEVER skip risk management verifications because the job offered is very urgent and there is no time for verification identities.

4. Emails from companies should come from corporate domains (what you get after @"). Check in the web page, and w... See more

1. NEVER accept a job from someone contacting you unless you get verifiable contact information AND you verify it.

2. NEVER accept a job that requires any kind of payment or refund of money from your part.

3. NEVER skip risk management verifications because the job offered is very urgent and there is no time for verification identities.

4. Emails from companies should come from corporate domains (what you get after @"). Check in the web page, and watch for typos.

5. Google everything!

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:11
English to Czech
+ ...
Do you know what a joke is? Feb 3, 2016

Tony M wrote:

Tempting as it may be to 'play' with these scammers, it is highly indavisable to respond in any way — to start with, it will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on them, it is just like water of a duck's back!

BUT if you reply, what you do is validate your e-mail addrs for them — which suddenly makes it a saleable commodity, thus ensuring that you WILL receive plenty more scam requests in the future.

Yes, and this guy claims to communicate with a bunch of them since then.
But if you insist on taking it seriously, I personally wouldn't be much amused to waste my time like this. For those who already began some correspondence, you can take it to the next level and make a sketch. It's a good material, as you can see.

[Edited at 2016-02-03 20:51 GMT]

bunnie
bunnie  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:11
English to Spanish
She tried to trick me this morning... Feb 22, 2016

But honestly, a translator that writes her first name with lower case as in "tracy"?
And will not give you a single reference?
Really??
Puleeze!

Patricia Redlin (X)
Patricia Redlin (X)
United States
Local time: 05:11
German to English
+ ...
Additional name included in translation request scam Mar 11, 2016

Silly me. I started the translation for this den of thieves, even though my suspicions were raised when "Stephen Gray" (same contact by email and translation request as noted in other posts here) said a check was being sent to me for payment (in advance) for the translation, but that his accountant had made an error and sent me a check for my payment and for payment of his travel agent. I was supposed to deposit the check and then send his "travel agent" the rest of the amount not due to me.
... See more
Silly me. I started the translation for this den of thieves, even though my suspicions were raised when "Stephen Gray" (same contact by email and translation request as noted in other posts here) said a check was being sent to me for payment (in advance) for the translation, but that his accountant had made an error and sent me a check for my payment and for payment of his travel agent. I was supposed to deposit the check and then send his "travel agent" the rest of the amount not due to me.

The check came, but my bank said not to deposit it because they suspect it's a scam check. Too bad my previous search online for "Stephen Gray" did not turn up any scams. However, one of the names on the check is "Roberto Torres" and a search for that resulted in this Scams forum. Thank you! And of course thanks to my bank teller for preventing me from depositing a phony check.

Red flags went up for me first because of the story about the accountant's error and that I would be getting a check for more than the amount due, etc. But even more red flags started flapping loudly due to this jerk's extremely poor English, given that his supposed name is Stephen Gray. If their scams work and they do get money from unsuspecting suckers who fall for the check thing, why can't they pay a translator to translate their emails into good English? I guess they wouldn't get to keep quite as much ill-gotten cash if they did that.

Good thing all I lost here was some time doing 1/3 of a translation that was actually kind of fun and very educational!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Advanced Payment Scam!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »