Domains by Proxy
Thread poster: Andrew Slusher

Andrew Slusher
United States
Local time: 08:25
German to English
Jan 26, 2016

I was doing some research on an agency that I filled out an application for, and was hoping to get some insight from other translators here. Due to the unbelievable number of scammers out there, I thought I would try to cover my bases.

Firstly, this company requested my CV in a word format--not quite sure why, as I thought .pdf was a nearly-universal format these days.

More alarmingly, a DNS lookup reveals that their (very neat-looking) website is registered via "domains by proxy." Hence, my main question here: is there any legitimate reason that an agency would register a domain more-or-less anonymously? This was a major red flag to me and I began to smell a scam. Am I being hyper-vigilant, or is this a legitimate reason to terminate the dialogue?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:25
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completely agree Jan 26, 2016

CVs should only be sent in PDF format with an electronic signature. No need for them to have it in Word format. And no need to hide the true owners of the website. Companies who act this way are a no-go for me.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Since when? Jan 26, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

CVs should only be sent in PDF format with an electronic signature. No need for them to have it in Word format ... Companies who act this way are a no-go for me.

Why on earth should this be grounds for suspicion? Lots of us still use Word. And why does a CV need an electronic signature?

Andrew Slusher
United States
Local time: 08:25
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
request must be taken in context Jan 26, 2016

philgoddard wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

CVs should only be sent in PDF format with an electronic signature. No need for them to have it in Word format ... Companies who act this way are a no-go for me.

Why on earth should this be grounds for suspicion? Lots of us still use Word. And why does a CV need an electronic signature?

I should note that I was not all that suspicious of the word format request by itself.. I just wondered why, as it seemed rather specific. A reasonable explanation is perhaps that their databasing software does not read .pdfs easily. But that is a bit of a stretch anyway.

And, coupled with the anonymously-registered domain, my leanings went from neutral to negative.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Domains by Proxy

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search