Beware new scam
Thread poster: InFineTraductio

InFineTraductio  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:16
Member (2015)
Jan 31, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I am the manager of the translation agency named In Fine Traduction. I just received an email from my "contact page" from someone who used this address: laety@infin-traduction.fr

THIS IS NOT OUR EMAIL ADDRESS

The only two genuine email adresses are: infos@infine-traduction.fr and recrutement@infine-traduction.fr

Regards,


 

Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:16
Serbian to English
+ ...
WHERE is the scam? Jan 31, 2016

InFineTraductio wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I am the manager of the translation agency named In Fine Traduction. I just received an email from my "contact page" from someone who used this address: laety@infin-traduction.fr

THIS IS NOT OUR EMAIL ADDRESS

The only two genuine email adresses are: infos@infine-traduction.fr and recrutement@infine-traduction.fr

Regards,


I just received an email from my "contact page" from someone who used this address: laety@infin-traduction.fr ????

"infin-traduction.fr" is an unregistered domain name, not unattributed to anyone - you simply CAN NOT send an email to an unattributed domain name - it WILL bounce back as "undeliverable" - how come it got to you?????

as for "infine-traduction.fr", unless you used some weird settings, ANY email "...@infine-traduction.fr" SHOULD land in your email INBOX

So, where exactly is the problem/scam?


 

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:16
Member (2014)
French to German
+ ...
Agree with Daryo Feb 1, 2016

I agree with Daryo, unless you misspelled something, this is not possible.

 

Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:16
Member (2014)
English to Latvian
I think you misunderstood Feb 1, 2016

Daryo wrote:

"infin-traduction.fr" is an unregistered domain name, not unattributed to anyone - you simply CAN NOT send an email to an unattributed domain name - it WILL bounce back as "undeliverable" - how come it got to you?????

as for "infine-traduction.fr", unless you used some weird settings, ANY email "...@infine-traduction.fr" SHOULD land in your email INBOX

So, where exactly is the problem/scam?


The way I understand the OP, someone entered laety@infin-traduction.fr in their website's contact form as the sender's address. The OP then concluded that someone is running around spoofing their e-mail. Most probably what actually happened was the visitor misunderstood how the contact form works and thought they were required to provide the recipient's email, so they made something up and misspelt it in the process. If so, no scam here.

P.S. Of course, it is technically possible for someone to spoof an e-mail message to include a non-existent sender's address and a different, existing "reply-to" address. If the recipient does not notice the two addresses are different, they may well reply thinking they are writing to a legitimate company.


 

InFineTraductio  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:16
Member (2015)
TOPIC STARTER
As we were scammed some months ago, we are now hypervigilant... Feb 1, 2016

Viesturs Lacis wrote:

P.S. Of course, it is technically possible for someone to spoof an e-mail message to include a non-existent sender's address and a different, existing "reply-to" address. If the recipient does not notice the two addresses are different, they may well reply thinking they are writing to a legitimate company.


Thanks for your answer Viesturs Lacis. Indeed, the person contacted us via our contact form. We were worried because the person only wrote "merci" (thank you) in the body of the message. As our company was scammed some months ago, we are now very vigilant...


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware new scam

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search