Frédéric Drago
Frédéric Drago
Spain
Local time: 11:02
English to French
+ ...
Apr 12, 2016

Hello,

I am a French translator. In January, I've done a proofreading for a company in Morocco. It was a part of a technical manual, more than 70 000 words (600€). The company said that I will be paid at the end of January, but if I am here today, it's obviously because I still received nothing.
I sent them a lot of emails, I tried to call them, I sent them a message on Whatsapp (they saw it but blocked me). Of course, they never reply to my messages.
So I've done some
... See more
Hello,

I am a French translator. In January, I've done a proofreading for a company in Morocco. It was a part of a technical manual, more than 70 000 words (600€). The company said that I will be paid at the end of January, but if I am here today, it's obviously because I still received nothing.
I sent them a lot of emails, I tried to call them, I sent them a message on Whatsapp (they saw it but blocked me). Of course, they never reply to my messages.
So I've done some research and it appears that the company is not real. I've found two names, I think this is the name of the people who are behind this.
They posted various offers on websites for translators, two on Proz.
I don't know if I can give here their name or the name of their companies. I think other translators could be in the same situation.

Do you know what I could do to be paid ?

Thank you,

F. Drago
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Some means Apr 14, 2016

Hello, FredericD.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Living in France, what you can do is this ---> http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/faq/4667-recuperer-ses-factures-impayees-recouvrement [French]

As the "client" is based in Morocco, maybe you have to follow a different method: "Pour un débiteur domicil
... See more
Hello, FredericD.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Living in France, what you can do is this ---> http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/faq/4667-recuperer-ses-factures-impayees-recouvrement [French]

As the "client" is based in Morocco, maybe you have to follow a different method: "Pour un débiteur domicilié à l'étranger, il suffit qu'il détienne en France, par exemple, un appartement ou un bureau. Dans le cas contraire, il existe une procédure dite d'injonction de payer européenne (Infogreffe)."

You say that the company seems to be non-existent, but you have two names, right? So maybe you can follow this thread. Are they registered on Proz.com as a company or as translators? You say they have posted several jobs.

If they are, write a negative feedback. Proz asks you if there has been a payment issue. Your reply will be taken into account in order to forbid this company to post a job again. Moreover, some companies pay just for the sake of not having negative feedback due to a payment issue.

If it is a scam, you can contact this webpage: http://www.translator-scammers.com/ You won't get paid, but their name and mail will be added for everyone to know.

Good luck.
Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:02
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please submit a support request with all the infomation Apr 14, 2016

Hello,

Thank you for bringing your question to the forums. The names of outsourcers should not be mentioned on site forums because that would constitute a violation of forums rule #8.

If you worked with an outsourcer, you can post an entry of their Blue Board record (or create one if there isn't one already).

If you suspect abuse is
... See more
Hello,

Thank you for bringing your question to the forums. The names of outsourcers should not be mentioned on site forums because that would constitute a violation of forums rule #8.

If you worked with an outsourcer, you can post an entry of their Blue Board record (or create one if there isn't one already).

If you suspect abuse is taking place, what you should do is submit a support request to contact site staff. Site staff will then take appropriate action.

Please do submit a request with more information about this case. I would be interested in having a look at it to make sure no abuse is happening. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Frédéric Drago
Frédéric Drago
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 14, 2016

Thank you for your answers.

Unfortunately, I am living in Spain.

I sent a support request, but I think now they are gone with the money and just don't care about a negative feedback on the blueboard.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:02
Russian to English
Next time... Apr 16, 2016

Frederic,

It might be too late in this case but for the future I advise you only to work with clients who either (i) have a good Blue Board score (very close to 5), or (ii) come with a good recommendation of people you know. Failing that you can ask for advance payment, though they rarely agree to that. I do not work for anybody else.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swindler in Morocco ?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »