https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/307244-scam_from_david_miller_email_address_names_appears_as_%22sunshine%22.html

Scam from David Miller (email address names appears as "Sunshine")
Thread poster: Ray Ables
Ray Ables
Ray Ables  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2016

So I got this email along with a document:

"I have attached the document to be translated from

English to Spanish, let me know how long and how

much it will cost to translate the document.

Sincerely,
David Miller"

After quoting him rate and deadline he promised to send a check and a tracking number once it was mailed. I received the tracking number a couple of days later and started working on the job... then when
... See more
So I got this email along with a document:

"I have attached the document to be translated from

English to Spanish, let me know how long and how

much it will cost to translate the document.

Sincerely,
David Miller"

After quoting him rate and deadline he promised to send a check and a tracking number once it was mailed. I received the tracking number a couple of days later and started working on the job... then when the check arrived I couldn't tell it was from him, and the amount was about $1,800 more than what I had quoted.

And then I checked my email and saw this:

"The check has delivered to you, my associate just contacted me now that instead of sending you a check of the translation amount, He mistakenly sent a check of $2290 which is the amount I'm been owned. Therefore, go ahead and deposit the check, deduct the order amount when it clears. The rest of the money should be sent to me here since it was supposed to be my ticket money back to the States. You are to send it via Moneygram money transfer to my wife information below'

Name: Davido C Miller ,
Address : 11 project road
City: Manila

Once you finish sending it , you are to take a picture of the receipt and send to me. Please deduct additional $50 for your time to Money gram.Thanks and hope to hear from you pretty soon, thanks."

So I called my sister who's an attorney and she explained that it's a scam. And that even after the check has cleared, the bank will go back in and remove the funds because the account they're drawn off will suddenly close... something similar happened at the law firm where she works.

So I wasted a day working on a bogus translation but at least I didn't lose $1,800!

[Edited at 2016-10-06 03:17 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:51
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Old scam, still using the same name Oct 6, 2016

Do a Forum search for "David Miller" There have been Forum threads about this guy since 2010.

Ray Ables
Ray Ables  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, you're right. Oct 6, 2016

Thanks. He's still using the same email address too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam from David Miller (email address names appears as "Sunshine")

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »