Scammer Alert for all translators:
Thread poster: Steven7954
Steven7954
United States
Oct 30

Scammer Alert of All Translators:

The scammer sent me an email (as follows) from an email account, Raymond King :

Hi,

I am interested in the service of an English translator. I found your information on American translators association. I have an article to be translated from English into XXX. The article contains 30 pages. KIndly get back to me asap.

Thanks!

Raymond

His phone# 678-682-2518

I gave him a quote, and he sent me a check with an amount three time higher. I am 100% sure that the check is a fake one.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Definitely a scam to avoid at all costs Oct 30

Steven7954 wrote:
I gave him a quote, and he sent me a check with an amount three time higher. I am 100% sure that the check is a fake one.

It isn't even just that it's a dud cheque, meaning that you would not get paid a cent for your time and effort. If you fall totally for the scam and follow their instructions, then you'll also send your own hard-earned money to reimburse some associate of this person in some other part of the world, so you'll actually be out of pocket. Even then it might not stop! It is actually illegal to present fake cheques to the bank and some poor professionals (I don't know if there are translators among them) have even faced prosecution and fines.

Steven7954
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Scammer Alert for translators Oct 30

The scammer's email is : raymondking4188@gmail.com

It looks like this email account has been closed.

michelelemieux  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Unfortunately, the name changes, the scam remains Nov 17

I have had that type of email years ago and I thought it was a one-time thing. But I have received 3 more emails from different people who want me to translate their, yes, 30 off page document, 11k words or thereabouts for a presentation they are making. They do not have much imagination. 2 of those emails came to me from my NETA (New England Translators Association) affiliation and 1 from my ATA membership.

So anytime I see something resembling 30 pages, 11,000 words, presentation,... and of course, if there are spelling errors in the email, I just blacklist. There's no use in replying to let them know we're on to them, it's a waste of time as they delete their email addresses as soon as they can so they don't get caught.

Unfortunately, scammers are everywhere, but it's a good thing we have platforms such as Proz so we can talk about them and warn each other.

Have a great weekend!

Michèle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammer Alert for all translators:

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search