Thread poster: Thomas Szabo, MD, MS

Thomas Szabo, MD, MS  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:29
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 3

Request came in to translate a document. Someone named Linda Dale sent a Word document and claimed she would send the check to my bank even before the document was translated. The computer's IP address showed location in Kansas. She provided a phone number (678-249-9063, listed in Atlanta) and insisted that any communication must be via only text. The email used was lindadale1953@live.com. Please do not waste your time responding to this, it is a FRAUD. best, Thomas

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 00:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks, Thomas! Apr 4

I've checked and the same email address is mentioned in other scams (https://www.google.pt/search?q="lindadale1953@live.com"&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&filter=0&biw=1366&bih=654)

Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:29
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Nancy Bill - Same scam Apr 10

Thank you for the warning, Thomas and Teresa! I received the same email from Linda Dale via ProZ.

A day later, I received a message through another portal (TM Town) with the exact same text from a Nancy Bill (nancy.bill01@gmail.com):

"Hello, My Name is Nancy Bill, I got your contact from online directory and I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to German. I would
like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me(nancy.bill01@gmail.com) as soon as you can.
Thank you.
Best regards
Nancy B."

Nozomi Kugita
United States
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Scammer: lindadale1953@live.com/(678) 249-9063 Apr 13

I've received an email from this person, asking for my service. I identified the name and email address as a known scammer at Translators Scanner Directory. To go a little further to see this scammer's modus operendi, I interacted with it. The followings are the email messages I received so far. I share them with you here, hoping this could help warn other translators.

First email from the scammer:
---------------------------------------------
Hello, I got your contact from an on-line directory and I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document with
11,643 words (44
Pages). I need this document translated to Japanese. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me.
Please get back to me(lindadale1953@live.com) as soon as you can.
Thank you.
Best regards

My reply:
Thank you for your email.
If that's ok, please send me the files you need translated so that I can give you more accurate quote.
Please also share with me more detailed information regarding your requirements, e.g. expected delivery date/time (timezone), only document translation or require DTP work, and other requirements.

Do you represent a language service provider or other company/ individual?

Thank you,

2nd email from the scammer:
Thanks so much for getting back to me.I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project.However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 05/28/2018.

Finally,I don't operate with PayPal,Debit or Credit Card,I'm proposing to pay you via Cashier Check. Payment will be received and clear at your Bank before you send the document. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to read from you soon.

Regard,

The above email had an attachment (document to be translated).
I sent back a fake quote (as I already knew that it was a scam)
My reply with my quote:
Attached please find a quote for the translation service of the provided document.
Please confirm receipt and please do not hesitate to ask any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

3rd email from the scammer:
Thank you for getting back to me.I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. But what would be your full price for the job? This project is a research paper being sponsored for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you. In the mean time, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check
2. Full Physical Address:
3. Mobile Cell Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received and clear at your bank before you send the document. Get back to me asap and you can send text to me here (678) 249-9063 (Please only Text) when you send the details.
Best Regards

My response:
Thank you very much for accepting the quote for this order.
In order to proceed, please confirm that the supplied document is the final, and please send me your billing information (name, address, phone number linked to the address).
I also need to verify your identity before proceeding. Please supply a phone number that I can reach you directly.
Thank you,

I asked for the scammer's ID, and, as of now, I haven't heard from it.
The email address (lindadale1953@live.com) is listed under scammers list at http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-emails.htm.

Nozomi

Christiane Fabbri  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2016)
French to English
+ ...
Scammed? May 12

Hello all,

I received the same message via Proz on May 7:

"Hello, I got your contact from an on-line directory and I'm
contacting you in regard to an German content document with
11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to English. I would
like to know if you are interested and available to get this
done for me. Please get back to me(lindadale1953@live.com) as soon as you can.
Thank you.
Best regards
Linda"

I responded with a quote, upon which no CV was requested, only name, address, and phone number.

What are the best profile settings to avoid this sort of thing?
TIA!

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:29
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Christiane May 12

Christiane Fabbri wrote:
What are the best profile settings to avoid this sort of thing?

In your profile, go to the Settings tab > Email preferences > tick the "Allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me email via my profile page" option. This will exclude at least not logged in users.

There are also other options to choose from.

Natalia

AndreasZim
English to German
Nancy Bill Scam Nov 19

yup - def's a scam. 44 pages of a publicly posted research paper? really? no Copyright, no sender address/details, promise to pay ahead... scamming back nowicon_smile.gif

Walter Landesman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search