Thread poster: Nadine Maggard

Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:06
Serbian to English
+ ...
They don't want your money Oct 2

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

What I mean, we are not exactly the best paid profession in the world. If I were a scammer, I wouldn't put all my efforts in scamming translators, but would go for something more 'substantial', so 'real money' in stead of 'peanuts'.

I don't get it, hence my question.

[Edited at 2019-03-08 16:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-08 17:00 GMT]

they only want to use your bank account.

The way the "overpayment" scam works they only need you to help them to make vanish into thin air (and then into their pockets) some faked / stolen / illegal money of theirs so it doesn't matter what they could take from you.

Pieter Groenhart
Netherlands
Local time: 14:06
Member (Jul 2019)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Scammer: Rosenov Zlatilov - 'Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU' - English to Dutch Oct 3

Scammer: Rosenov Zlatilov 'Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU' - English to Dutch
Email address of the scammer: zlatilovrosenov@gmail.com
IP address: 82.102.19.132

Was in contact with this scammer since this weekend. He accepted my rates last night and wanted me to send my bank details. Fortunately I was smart enough to search on this forum (and on Google) first, before sending him any of my detail
... See more
Scammer: Rosenov Zlatilov 'Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU' - English to Dutch
Email address of the scammer: zlatilovrosenov@gmail.com
IP address: 82.102.19.132

Was in contact with this scammer since this weekend. He accepted my rates last night and wanted me to send my bank details. Fortunately I was smart enough to search on this forum (and on Google) first, before sending him any of my details (or getting to work on that document about 'agricultural reforms').

To answer the questions people ask in this forum thread: The reason they want your bank details is because they will transfer a much larger amount of money than agreed to your account. The money will actually be there in your account for a few days, but will then be removed again because the funds were transferred using a fraudulent cheque. In the mean time the scammer will try to convince you to transfer the difference (between the amount you agreed on and what was actually transferred) back to them (in whatever way). Many people will agree to do that because they see the funds in their account and assume that this was a legitimate error. Unfortunately it is not..
Collapse

Daryo

Monica de Leon  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:06
English to Spanish
They're still at it Oct 3

It just happened to me. His "name" is Jeffrey Bergsten. He contacted me through LinkedIn. The file name is Research Project on Agricultural Reforms in the EU. 15149 words.

Mónica

Frank Dobbs
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
They're still at it Oct 29

The pirates! I'll be damned. I've gone back through my banking history, though, and there's been nothing untoward on there. The main thing I looked for was if they were asking for anything that would allow them to clear my account, like my PIN number, but there wasn't.

Emilie Péladé
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Gülnihal ZORA TEKE is back! Dec 2

Gülnihal ZORA TEKE has finally replied after a long silence. Is there any way I can report on this person for scamming? I'm not sure why they are coming back to me now, maybe they are missing some information to be able to access my account and scam further?

Vanina LLOYD-COLOMB
United Kingdom
Member (Jan 2019)
English to French
+ ...
Scammer from August back at it! Dec 2

Hi all,

Scammer impersonating well established translator Gulnihal Zora Teke (using gmail account gnizoteke@gmail.com and dodgy IP address 91.207.174.156 in Japan) is back at it, following up on the "transaction" they started back in August...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank Information Scammers

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search