Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
New Scam: Penguin Random House
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton

joycemoorem
United States
What do they want? Aug 21

I also agreed to an interview with them on hangouts but cancelled minutes before after seeing this thread. Thanks!

Does anyone know what they could want? I'm not sure if I should do something or what kind of risk we have. Thanks!

GermaninTexas
United States
Local time: 08:08
English to German
+ ...
to late Sep 26

I read this here too late. But what comes out of this scam?
They are asking for your contact information and they are doing an interview with you. At the end they tell you that they will tell you in the morning if you are selected.

They also ask you what bank you are with. Luckily my bank won't give out any information without the secret password.

I will let you know what comes out of it.

Jaime Russell
United States
Local time: 09:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam is still alive and well! Nov 28

Hi everyone,
Just a couple days ago I received probably the most updated version
Typo in the subject line, email disguised to look like it's from the company (info@penguin-randomhouse.company.com), using the name of a real person at the company (Paige McInery, LinkedIn confirmed profile and everything), "Paige's" email being hrpaige.penguinrandomhouse
... See more
Hi everyone,
Just a couple days ago I received probably the most updated version
Typo in the subject line, email disguised to look like it's from the company (info@penguin-randomhouse.company.com), using the name of a real person at the company (Paige McInery, LinkedIn confirmed profile and everything), "Paige's" email being hrpaige.penguinrandomhouse@gmail.com.

Even though it didn't pass my sniff test (the email was requesting WAY too much personal information from the get go; scammers need very little of your info nowadays to give you a huge headache), these posts from you all only confirmed my suspicion.

What caught my eye was in the email said they got my info from ATA...

I wonder if anyone has reported this to ATA??? I would think they would like to know if someone is trolling their website to get info to initiate scams...I really don't know how ATA makes members' info available. I have started some legitimate business relationships with agencies through ATA, but I'm assuming they have a company/organizational account with ATA.

Thanks everyone, the more information we share, the more we support (and protect!) each other.
Collapse

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
The endgame is a variation of the classic overpayment scam Nov 29

joycemoorem wrote:

Does anyone know what they could want? I'm not sure if I should do something or what kind of risk we have. Thanks!

It's a variation on the overpayment scam. Once you accept their "job offer", they will ask you to pay for various expenses (e.g., computer equipment, materials, supposed special software) that you will supposedly need to complete the training and/or perform the job. However, these items can only be be purchased from their "preferred vendor" (actually the scammer or an associate), who only accepts payment via some untraceable and/or irreversible method (such as gift cards sent to them, WU, etc.).
The cheque sent by courier service for you to deposit and to cover these "expenses" is fake, and, like with the classic overpayment scam, the real money you send from your account, or the gift cards you mailed) are gone forever.
That is why the scammers are very insistent on knowing the instant you get the cheque and whether you have deposited it in your account (preferably electronically, in the US this means your bank lets you take a photo of the cheque and deposit it via the banking app). It's so that they can start pressuring you to send the money immediately, leaving you less time to research the scam.

HTH

[Edited at 2019-11-29 09:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Scam: Penguin Random House

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search