Is this a scam?
Thread poster: Catarina Wilson

Catarina Wilson  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 23

This is an email I received, the company and and name is legit but the rest seems a bit questionable. I was then told to go to Google Hangout to set up and interview.

The information below is a briefing about our company; the job and instructions to assist you to get aboard our work team. If truly you’re interested; read further and follow the instructions as stated below, IF NOT please ignore this message.
We address some of the world's most pressing global challenges and c
... See more
This is an email I received, the company and and name is legit but the rest seems a bit questionable. I was then told to go to Google Hangout to set up and interview.

The information below is a briefing about our company; the job and instructions to assist you to get aboard our work team. If truly you’re interested; read further and follow the instructions as stated below, IF NOT please ignore this message.
We address some of the world's most pressing global challenges and continue to develop new solutions. The population is constantly growing and its age is increasing. That is why it needs better medicines and high-quality food in sufficient quantities.
We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value-driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination.

COMPANY: APTAR PHARMA

Job Type: Part-Time, Full-Time, Freelancer.

Hourly Rate: $40/Hour-$50/Hour

Training Rate: $18/Hour-$20/Hour

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:

You've been assigned to Gareth Wilton (Hiring Coordinator) of APTAR PHARMA, he would be conducting an online interview with you.

To contact him, set up a screen name with Gmail hangout https://hangouts.google.com/ and add up the Company Hiring Manager's hangouts screen name(hrcoordinator.gerathwilton@gmail.com) and instant message him to proceed with the job interview
Collapse

Pedro Zimmer

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Looks like it Sep 23

It looks very much like a scam.

Which domain was the email sent from?

Catarina Wilson

Catarina Wilson  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Close to the real thing... Sep 24

aptarpharma.company.com

Esther Dodo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
Yes, it is a scam! Sep 24

I think we all have been approached by scammers before but I have to tell that it took me a while to realize that this "job offer" was in fact a scam.

After checking the company and the HR Director on LinkedIn I was convinced it was a real offer and scheduled an interview but it didn't take me too long to realize they were scammers.

RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:03
German to English
Definitely a scam Sep 24

There's a whole series of these identical scams sweeping the translation industry this year (just swap out the name of the company and the person who will supposedly interview you). No matter how attractive the offer looks, just delete it. No real company is going to email you (or anybody else) out of the blue with an attractive job offer and an interview in Google Hangouts with somebody who has a gmail or similar free email account.

Carole Wolfe  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:03
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
I received a similar email Sep 24

I received a very similar email that had the same payment amounts, but it came from Bayer Pharmaceuticals.

I received it after I had selected the position as a Favorite on UpWork. An email about the position came to me out of the blue and said they had reviewed my profile on ProZ and were interested in me. I installed Google Hangouts but did not add the HR person to my contact list, mostly because I had overlooked that suggestion made in later email. I think I've received 2-3 ema
... See more
I received a very similar email that had the same payment amounts, but it came from Bayer Pharmaceuticals.

I received it after I had selected the position as a Favorite on UpWork. An email about the position came to me out of the blue and said they had reviewed my profile on ProZ and were interested in me. I installed Google Hangouts but did not add the HR person to my contact list, mostly because I had overlooked that suggestion made in later email. I think I've received 2-3 emails from them, and after that nothing.

Now that I think about it more, i really doubt the offer because the HR person in your case as well mine is using gmail to conduct the business of a giant pharmaceutical company. Surely, he/she has a more official, impressive address. I checked the email link that my HR person has on Linkedin, and it is NOT a gmail address.

I'm glad you addressed this offer here because I was still holding on to the hope of being contacted for this fantastic job. "If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Good luck in your future scam-free ventures.

Signing off with my feet on the ground.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not at all Sep 24

Catarina Wilson wrote:

Close to the real thing:
aptarpharma.company.com

Not at all. The genuine domain is aptar.com.

The domain company.com belongs to a completely different company. Apparently, it is a social network and resource hub for small businesses in the US. Receiving an email from that is as good as receiving an email from a Facebook, LinkedIn or Gmail email address.

Don't fall for lookalike subdomains (aptarpharma.company.com is a subdomain of the domain company.com) or fake domains (could have been for example apttar.com).

Daryo
Yolanda Broad
Michele Fauble
Liviu-Lee Roth

Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:03
Serbian to English
+ ...
Close to the real thing? Nowhere near ... Sep 24

Catarina Wilson wrote:

Close to the real thing...

aptarpharma.company.com

THIS is the real thing

pharma.aptar.com

a sub-domain of "aptar.com" - the domain name for all companies that are part of the Aptar group of companies.

"aptarpharma.company.com" is a sub-domain of "company.com" no links whatsoever to the Aptar group of companies, owned by someone who will happily sell the use of any sub-domain name to anyone willing to pay, scammer or no scammer ... (if they are not themselves the scammers!)

One more proof for the old saying

Acquiring knowledge is expensive? Try the cost of ignorance ...

Yolanda Broad
Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a scam?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search