Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 24

FWIW, I got contacted yesterday by one valerie john <valeriejohn5213@gmail.com> about a potential translation job.

Service needed
Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated into Afrikaans I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you
... See more
FWIW, I got contacted yesterday by one valerie john <valeriejohn5213@gmail.com> about a potential translation job.

Service needed
Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated into Afrikaans I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can Thank you.
Best regards.

I replied positively, and got this reply:

Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 26/September/2019.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards

Along with a 44-page attachment, starting with...

PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH
PHASE 1
What do organizations use conflict management for?
For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recognizing and resolving conflict amongst people, so that conflict does not become so serious that co-operation is impossible. All members of any organization need to have ways of keeping conflict to a minimum - and of solving problems caused by conflict, before conflict becomes a major obstacle to your work. This could happen to any organization, whether it is an NGO, a CBO, a political party, a business or a government.
Conflict management is the process of planning to avoid conflict where possible and organizing to resolve conflict where it does happen, as rapidly and smoothly as possible.
Important things to know about "conflict" and "conflict management":
The differences between "competition" and "conflict"
"Competition" usually brings out the best in people, as they strive to be top in their field, whether in sport, community affairs, politics or work. In fact, fair and friendly competition often leads to new sporting achievements, scientific inventions or outstanding effort in solving a community problem. When competition becomes unfriendly or bitter, though, conflict can begin - and this can bring out the worst in people.

This particular variant of the scam has also been reported here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/arr6mo/scam_public_organization_procedures_research/

[Edited at 2019-09-24 10:32 GMT]
Collapse

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 21:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Samuel Sep 24

Her (?) name is listed in the Scammers Directory though then the book was in French “Procédures de gestion des conflits dans une organisation publique – Phase 1 de recherche...

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:15
German to English
Things must be getting tough in the scam industry Sep 24

Now they're approaching experienced translators. I must admit that the variations involving "interviews" using Google Hangout (whatever that is!) are a clever variation. Scammers appear to be proliferating almost as quickly as translation agencies. I'd be curious to hear from agency owners (surely there are some lurking here) regarding clever scams – apart from fake CVs – they've encountered.

Xiaonuo Li
Canada
Local time: 14:15
New user
English to Chinese
+ ...
I was contacted yesterday with the same content. Oct 10

Yesterday, I was contacted by one and the message left to me was:
" Greeting,
My name is Scott I'm contacting you in regard to an
English content document.I need this document translate into
Chinese.I would like
to know if you are interested and available to get this done
for me. For more details Please get back to
(sparker19537@gmail.com ) as
soon as you can.

Best Regards,
Scott "

I applied to the email "spark
... See more
Yesterday, I was contacted by one and the message left to me was:
" Greeting,
My name is Scott I'm contacting you in regard to an
English content document.I need this document translate into
Chinese.I would like
to know if you are interested and available to get this done
for me. For more details Please get back to
(sparker19537@gmail.com ) as
soon as you can.

Best Regards,
Scott "

I applied to the email "sparker19537@gmail.com" and today I got the same reply as you did as follows:
"Hello,
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 28th/October/2019.Finally, I'm proposing a Cashier Check.and it will clear your bank before you send the document .? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards.
Scott"

The attached file is the same as you described: "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1

What do organizations use conflict management for?

For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recognizing and resolving conflict amongst people, so that conflict does not become so serious that co-operation is impossible. All members of any organization need to have ways of keeping conflict to a minimum - and of solving problems caused by conflict, before conflict becomes a major obstacle to your work. This could happen to any organization, whether it is an NGO, a CBO, a political party, a business or a government.

Conflict management is the process of planning to avoid conflict where possible and organizing to resolve conflict where it does happen, as rapidly and smoothly as possible.

Important things to know about "conflict" and "conflict management":"

In total there are 44 pages.

I am pretty sure this is a spam. Be CAREFUL everyone!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search