Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU translation scam - Marie Stephens
Thread poster: Lauriane Duran-Pauleau

Jing Zhao  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Chinese
So did I Jan 30

It's not our fault to assume people are trust worthy at the first place. I guess we just have to be more careful from now on.

Iza Bel wrote:

I gave my account details. I feel so deseperate

[Edited at 2020-01-13 09:05 GMT]

Louise PELLETIER  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:41
English to French
+ ...
I decided to take action against this scammer Feb 4

This "Marie" sent me an e-mail yesterday telling me that she proceeded to the fund transfer and that there's a mix up with the amount I'll be getting.

From now on, I have to keep a close eye on my bank account.

The bank knows I have been scammed.

I also signaled this scam to the French platform Signalement Internet, explaining them everything that happened to some of us.
To the French translators who have been scammed by this thief: I think you sh
... See more
This "Marie" sent me an e-mail yesterday telling me that she proceeded to the fund transfer and that there's a mix up with the amount I'll be getting.

I also signaled this scam to the French platform Signalement Internet, explaining them everything that happened to some of us.
To the French translators who have been scammed by this thief: I think you should signal them too.
If you're from another country, signal it to your authorities too.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 22:41
Romanian to English
+ ...
I wish you good luck Feb 5

Louise PELLETIER wrote:

To the French translators who have been scammed by this thief: I think you should signal them too.
If you're from another country, signal it to your authorities too.

It is good that you signaled this scam to the authorities, but don't expect miracles.

It is a shame that you don't follow on a regular basis the SCAM section. " . . . this thief..." could be from the other end of the world. He bought the narrative of the scam on the dark web and applied it. Most probably he has some "money mules" with fake IDs who will cash-out the money.
From my experience in this field, be prepared to receive many more such "offers".

Stay safe,
lee

Sheila Wilson

Myriam Ouellet  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:41
English to French
Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU Feb 13

A certain "Simone Frasier" contacted me this morning through ProZ to translate this document. I checked and she's been registered since February 2020... She gives me 4 to 5 weeks to translate a 15 000-word document (written in an uncommon font, um...), it's almost too good to be true. Her email is appnovationtechnologiesinc@gmail.com. No results on Google for "Simone Frasier,” "appnovation technologies" and "Florida. App... See more
A certain "Simone Frasier" contacted me this morning through ProZ to translate this document. I checked and she's been registered since February 2020... She gives me 4 to 5 weeks to translate a 15 000-word document (written in an uncommon font, um...), it's almost too good to be true. Her email is appnovationtechnologiesinc@gmail.com. No results on Google for "Simone Frasier,” "appnovation technologies" and "Florida. Appnovation exists, but it's located in Montreal (my city) and has nothing to do with agriculture. She is waiting for my quotation. I feel like asking her $50,000 and see what she's going to answer!
I've already received similar offers (from Melisa Leclère, among others), but never through ProZ. What a waste of time!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU Feb 13

Have you googled for the title of the document and for a chunk of the text itself? If it's the usual scam, you could well find it's been online for some while and there are also translations available.

Myriam Ouellet wrote:
A certain "Simone Frasier" contacted me this morning through ProZ to translate this document. I checked and she's been registered since February 2020

Once you're sure she's a scammer (and it certainly sounds likely), there's no point in answering. But there is a point to informing site staff via the Scam Centre. They need to take her profile down asap to prevent other translators falling into her clutches.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU translation scam - Marie Stephens

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search