Fraudulent Translation Company (D&T)
Thread poster: Lee Weingast

Lee Weingast
Brazil
Local time: 04:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 13

I was contacted via email by Vanessa Eikås O'Muireartaigh asking if I could translate two documents (from Portuguese to English). She accepted my rate and said that I would be paid through PayPal or bank transfer in two weeks. I did two more jobs for this (supposed) company over the course of the following week. During the work, if I had questions about the translations, "Vanessa" would reply immediately to my emails. When I then wrote asking about why the payments had not been made, there was... See more
I was contacted via email by Vanessa Eikås O'Muireartaigh asking if I could translate two documents (from Portuguese to English). She accepted my rate and said that I would be paid through PayPal or bank transfer in two weeks. I did two more jobs for this (supposed) company over the course of the following week. During the work, if I had questions about the translations, "Vanessa" would reply immediately to my emails. When I then wrote asking about why the payments had not been made, there was no reply.
I have since found out that this was a fraudulent impersonation of the actual D&T Translations.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:40
English to French
What's to gain? Jan 13

The usual intent of scams towards translators is to steal money from them with fake cheques or bank deposits.
If you didn't send any sort of "refund", it likely means the translations are the actual loot. And somebody actually using the translations stolen (translator, private individual, translation agency...) may not cover their tracks as well as organised crime.

If you're in a chasing mood and the loss is significant, you can monitor the web to see whether your translation
... See more
The usual intent of scams towards translators is to steal money from them with fake cheques or bank deposits.
If you didn't send any sort of "refund", it likely means the translations are the actual loot. And somebody actually using the translations stolen (translator, private individual, translation agency...) may not cover their tracks as well as organised crime.

If you're in a chasing mood and the loss is significant, you can monitor the web to see whether your translation is published, search any names present in the source texts, contact the authoring company if any, check the e-mail/source file headers/properties for clues about originating request, file a claim, etc.

Philippe
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Lee Weingast
Brazil
Local time: 04:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I worked for free Jan 13

In fact, the fake D&T Translations "stole" the translation work that I did (by not paying me).

I have all the information about the clients because they were documents (marriage certificate, diploma, etc.), and I have sent them messages on Facebook alerting them to the fact that the translation agency they used did not pay the translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fraudulent Translation Company (D&T)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search