Passolo SRX segmenter bugs
Thread poster: Evzen
Oct 19, 2014

Posted this to Passolo User Forum, but it seems rather quiet, so I'm reposting here in a hope that it gets noticed by relevant people...

I tried to set up a simple Passolo project with HTML and Java properties files (with sentence level segmentation) and German as source language.
And Passolo created a zillion of totally wrong entries segmented after German abbreviations like z.B. or d.h. and others .

... See more
Posted this to Passolo User Forum, but it seems rather quiet, so I'm reposting here in a hope that it gets noticed by relevant people...

I tried to set up a simple Passolo project with HTML and Java properties files (with sentence level segmentation) and German as source language.
And Passolo created a zillion of totally wrong entries segmented after German abbreviations like z.B. or d.h. and others .

After some research I found the following bugs in SRX segmenter add-in:
  1. New/edited segmentation rules are not stored. This is because Passolo.srx file is stored in Passolo System folder, which is not writable for non-admin users...
    As far as I can see, this serious bug is still present even in Passolo 2015
    It was reported back in 2010 already: http://www.passolo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=817

2. SRX language-specific rules don't work out-of-the-box. With the default languagepattern="[Dd][Ee].*" definition Passolo does NOT recognize German language.
    Only after adding languagepattern="[Gg][Ee][Rr].*" mapping Passolo finally started using the German rules. It looks like a bug - Passolo should use the ISO language abbreviation for matching the language pattern, not the language name (like German (Germany)).
    The help file states that Passolo uses only the "Default" language rules... hmmm, so why would the SRX file contain the other languages definition then?!
    To me it looks like no one in Passolo/Trados/SDL really understood how the languagepattern should be actually configured, so they added this weird sentence to the help file to cover their backs... :-\

3. The set of segmentation rules provided in default SRX file is totally insufficient and results in a lot of wrongly segmented text.
    Can't you guys simply take the ruiles, abbreviations list, etc. from Studio?! One would expect that products of the same company work the same way...

4. The default segmentation rules exceptions definitions are rather incorrect - they all start with "\s", so abbreviations inside parentheses (like "blabla (z.B. bleble)") are not recognized and result in segment break.

5. It would make sense that the Passolo.srx file written by Passolo keeps the XML structured/indented formatting like the original default file, so that it's still comfortably editable in e.g. Notepad.
    Currently Passolo writes it is a single huuuuge line which makes it pretty unusable in plaintext editors

In the end I had to drop Passolo and move the project to Studio...
I found pretty alarming that such expensive tool like Passolo has such essential functional bugs... which apparently exist for a very long time
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo SRX segmenter bugs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »