Thread poster: Afew

Afew  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 15:24
Member (2008)
English to Kazakh
Mar 19, 2008

Hello everybody,

Sorry if this problem was mentioned earlier. But couldn't find it.

I want to QA check my file in SDLX Edit. Right now I'm using a TM in Microsoft access format (an mdb file). But when I want to check consistency by the QA check tool it requires a tdb file.

How can I convert my mdb file into a tdb file? Or is there any other soultion?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 17:24
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
tdb is the termbase of SDLX Mar 20, 2008

Hi,
The tdb is different from the mdb. The tdb is the database for terms. you may use SDL Termbase to create it.

I have only SDLX lite , and it contains this program.

Nurzhan Nagashbekov wrote:

Hello everybody,

Sorry if this problem was mentioned earlier. But couldn't find it.

I want to QA check my file in SDLX Edit. Right now I'm using a TM in Microsoft access format (an mdb file). But when I want to check consistency by the QA check tool it requires a tdb file.

How can I convert my mdb file into a tdb file? Or is there any other soultion?

Thanks.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:24
English to Czech
+ ...
Distinguish btw. TMs and termbases Mar 20, 2008

Hi Nurzhan,
you don't need to specify the TDB file unless you want to check terminology. That means you can simply skip that dialog. However, if you worked with some database of terminology in SDLX, you can define the database here to check proper use of terminology in your translation.

Anyway, you should always distinguish between the different file formats:
MDB = translation memory for SDLX
TDB = termbase file for SDLX

Hope this helps a little.

[Upraveno: 2008-03-20 07:58]

Afew  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Member (2008)
English to Kazakh
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jing and Stanislav Mar 20, 2008

Yes I needed to check the terminology.

Sure, I am aware of this difference but really don't understand why SDLX can't use the same translation memory to check terminology consistency.

I found a solution. A friend of mine just exported the mdb file to txt, and then imported it to a new tdb file. To do this, one have to own SDL Professional. That's it.

Anyway thank you.

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:24
English to German
+ ...
A translation memory is not the right tool for managing terminology Mar 20, 2008

Hi Nurzhan,

Sure, I am aware of this difference but really don't understand why SDLX can't use the same translation memory to check terminology consistency.

Well, this is because a TM is not meant for managing terminology (individual words or phrases) but for saving complete sentences rather than individual words.

This isn't special to SDLX but is the same with all Translation Memory tools I know. They all have separate tools for terminology management. If you want to check the terminology once you have completed the translation, you either need a terminology database from the start or you need to create one while you're translating the text.

A friend of mine just exported the mdb file to txt, and then imported it to a new tdb file. To do this, one have to own SDL Professional.

That's what I would have suggested. Please note though that you don't need SDLX Professional for this, the Freelance version will do (it's not possible to do this with the Lite version though).

However, if your TM contains sentences, it still won't be very helpful for checking the terminology even if you convert it into a .tdb file.

Best regards,
Claudia

Afew  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Member (2008)
English to Kazakh
TOPIC STARTER
Oh! That's what I didn't know Mar 20, 2008

Now I see where I can make a termbase. Just everytime I used SDLX, I opened itd files directly, so skipping the initial SDLX menu.

I guess a termbase is a valuable asset for any translator. Need to start creating them myself.

Can I use this termbase in Tageditor?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I make a tdb file for SDLX?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search