https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/100109-tm_export_with_project_settings.html

TM Export with Project Settings
Thread poster: Alexandra Becker
Alexandra Becker
Alexandra Becker
Germany
Local time: 20:10
English to German
+ ...
Mar 19, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I would like to know how I can export an existing TM into a txt with project settings.

Example:

A client sent me his TM, and I would like to import it into my own TM. In order to know that this TM comes from this specific client, I want to do the export/import with project settings.

How does that work?

Thanks for your ideas!

Cheers,
Alexandra

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
2 Different things Mar 19, 2008

You can export a TM, a Project setting and a Filter setting.

Each one has another extension
In menu Project and Filter settings you can open or save this kind of files (*wps and *.wfs) , it is easy and dont need any additional explanation.

All together in a file... I dont think is possible

Regads

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Filter setting Mar 19, 2008

What you want can be done with the filter settings...

Rgs

Fernando

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Or... Mar 19, 2008

Create a new TM and add Project settings for this specific client, project, file type, etc. in Project and filter setting, then import the txt file from your client, export this new TM as txt and import it to your main TM, all TUs from this client will have a remark on it.

Regards

Ups... ich hoffe ich habe mich klar genug ausgedrückt

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Import and keep it separate?! Mar 20, 2008

A client sent me his TM, and I would like to import it into my own TM. In order to know that this TM comes from this specific client, I want to do the export/import with project settings.

Why import it in the first place? You can keep all this separate. Pretranslate with the customer's TM, then switch to your own TM and decide on a segment per segment basis what to keep and what to change etc ....

To be honest, I have yet to figure why I would need to keep different versions of segments already translated. One reason of course may be differences in the clients' terminology. On the other hand, it can not be fish for client X and fowl for customer Y - and it is up to me to decide for fish or fowl, both for Mr X and Mrs Y. And believe me, I have seen my share of fish and fowl - or to be concise, feesh and foul.

What I mean, is that half, if not a majority of TM's provided by agencies, simply sucks. Well, this is not that bad: half of it is after all OK. The problem is the other half: my experience is that the agencies are rather reluctant to rock the boat / be the bearer of bad news. They pretty much all sweep it under the rug. After all, the client would probably be rather p*ssed to learn the work he had paid 100% for, is actually worth just about 50 cents on the dollar.

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM Export with Project Settings

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »