Thread poster: Isabel Fernandez

Isabel Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:21
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2008

I would really appreciate any help that I can get. I just purchased SDL Trados 2007 SP2 Freeland through a Proz group buy. This is my first time using this software but it seems to be running just fine. However, when I click on the green icons to use the Multiterm features, the software says that it cannot find a valid license and will run in demo mode.

According to the description of the group buy "SDLTrados 2007 SP2 Freelance provides the complete and new functionality of TRADOS 8.0, SDLX 2007 SP-2 and MultiTerm 2007 in one convenient software suite". Does it mean that I am entitled to use Multiterm with a license and I simply installed it wrong and need to reinstall it, should I really buy another license for Multiterm, or how does this work???

I thought the $200 they were charging for technical support was excessive, but I am starting to regret not having purchased it. They don´t even get on the phone if you don´t pay!!

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Isabel

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Search Proz forums Mar 20, 2008

http://www.proz.com/topic/38670

Take a look at this thread.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:21
English to Czech
+ ...
What Icons? Mar 20, 2008

Hi Isabel,
what "green icons" do you mean? Have you installed the latest versions of Workbench and MultiTerm? The previous versions (7.xx) require a license file (licence.lic) to be installed on your harddrive.

If you installed Workbench 835, you should have been prompted to enter your license number. Were you?

Irina Lazarescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:21
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
it happened to me , too Mar 21, 2008

I have SDLTrados 2006 and this situation occurred to me, also.
Take care that the licence is valid for "one computer at one time".This means if you have installed it on two different computers - for safety reasons, both connected to Internet and working in the same time, the licence will be on-line checked and will appear the access to this demo version, only.
That's why on my second computer I use the old Trados version!Not so often they are working in the same time , but it happens!

Luck!
Irina

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Only one machine? Mar 21, 2008

Hi Irina,
I don't think the Trados 2007 licence is limited to one computer only. Nor do I think the licence is checked online.
I have successfully used Trados 2007 both on my desktop and on my laptop at the same time. If Trados required an online licence check on startup, it wouldn't even run on your computer without being actually connected to the Internet. This is true for e. g. QA Distiller, but not for Trados, whatever your version.

[Upraveno: 2008-03-21 20:42]

Isabel Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have not been able to fix the issue yet Mar 31, 2008

Thanks to you all for your help. I read all your posts but I have not been able to resolve the issue yet. I activated the product online with an Activation Code and I don´t have a .lic file to point Multiterm to, and I only have installed the software in one computer. At the license manager pop up screen I get this error message "Initialization of API failed. (Error code 50005)" Any ideas about what I should try to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Isabel

[Edited at 2008-03-31 21:35]

rikkie
Australia
Local time: 19:21
English to Japanese
+ ...
I have exactly the same problem now. Jun 27, 2008

Hi Isabel,

Not sure if this message reaches you because your post was a few months ago.
I also purchased the same package from Proz.com's group buy.

Did you solve your problem?
If so, could you please tell me how you did?

It's been very painful even only to make the application work.

Many thanks
yimai

[Edited at 2008-06-27 08:09]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Error 50005: Initialization of API failed... Jun 27, 2008

Hello All,

Error code 50005 is caused by a corrupt link between License Manager and the server. Please re-install your software to fix this error.

All SDL customers are entitled to free installation and licensing support.

We have a very effective solution finder, designed to help users fix their installation and licensing problems. We urge you to follow the solution finder step by step and, if your problem is not resolved, you will be given a support form to fill out. The support form will then be sent to our support team, who will get back to you as soon as possible.

To visit the solution finder please follow these instructions:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

2. Login with your username and password

3. Go to "My Support"

4. Select Licensing and Installation Help

5. Select "Start" at the bottom of the page, our knowledge base will now load up

6. Select Solution finder

7. Select the "Download and Installation Problems" link in the left hand navigation pane

8. Answer the questions accordingly

Again, you will be given a support form to fill out if you don't find a solution.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Licence file... Jun 27, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

what "green icons" do you mean? Have you installed the latest versions of Workbench and MultiTerm? The previous versions (7.xx) require a license file (licence.lic) to be installed on your harddrive.

Wrong.
1) The current version (MT7 SP1) is a 7.xx version too (7.5.0.444/448)
2) In the previous versions of MT, the lic file was not checked by the standard MT modules (i.e. except MT Extract).
I.e. it was no copy protection at all.
So why MTiX/MT7 was never available as demo version.

Cheers
GG

rikkie
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
Re: Error 50005: Initialization of API failed... Jun 28, 2008

Hi Gareth and everyone,

Since I have unsuccessful License Manager for MT Extract with the message "Error 50005: Initialization of API failed", I re-downloaded the installer again from the original and mirror sites.

Both downloads ended up with the same message...

All firewalls, anti-virus software, and any background programs are off when License Manager is running because they were disabled by msconfig and my PC was rebooted.

I used solution finder and sent a request to Customer Support, but they has not yet respond to me for a long time.

Found some posts here, referring to assigning port 80 to SDL.

If this is a possible solution, how can I assign port 80 to SDL?

Thank you in advance.
yimai

rikkie
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
Problem solved! Jun 30, 2008

My problem was also solved with SDL Customer Support's assistance, which I was longing for a long time.

After exchanging many emails with the support representative to narrow down possible causes of the problem, I was given a new activation code for Workbench and a node license for MT Extract. These worked correctly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm installation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search