How to copy the SOURCE only in a bilingual file
Thread poster: _TILLI

_TILLI
Local time: 01:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 20, 2008

While translating I noticed several typos in the source, which I would like to report to the client. I would like to copy the source and paste it into Word, to use the Word spellchecker. Is there a walkaround? Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 07:07
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A little confusion. If you have only the TTX file? Mar 20, 2008

If you do not have the source document, and what you got is a TagEditor TTX file, you may ask your client to provide the source text. It is rather reasonable and simply.

_TILLI wrote:

While translating I noticed several typos in the source, which I would like to report to the client. I would like to copy the source and paste it into Word, to use the Word spellchecker. Is there a walkaround? Thank you

[修改时间: 2008-03-20 14:43]

Binnur Tuncel van Pomeren  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Why not aligning? Mar 20, 2008

After aligning the documents you can do this very easily.

First translate, so that your translation is ready to be delivered. If the target is word, excel etc save your file as target.
In order to avoid your translation from being corrupted copy your bilingual file in two different names.
file 1- original name of the file + extension with the code of target language
file 2- original name of the file + extension with the code of target language +to be aligned
Then (if you really have time and will to do so)
Align "file 2", and make the necessary changes there as a future reference.
Dearest regards,
Binnur

[Edited at 2008-03-20 15:08]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:07
English to French
+ ...
Workbench options Mar 20, 2008

When you pretranslate the TTX file in Workbench (Tools > Translate), there is an option in the dialogue box that you can check: Segment unknown sentences. If you check this option and run the pretranslation with an empty TM, all of the source segments will be carried over to target segments. You can then run the spellcheck on the target segments.

All the best!

P.S.: If you do this with a TM that contains units, all source segments that are 100% matches will be translated. If you just want to let the client know about errors in the source, make one TTX file with your translations as target segments, and make a separate one using the above described method, using an empty TM, that will only serve as an outline of typos in the source document.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Copy all into Word and use PlusToys Mar 20, 2008

There is this macro that leaves only the target from a bilingual file in Word.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"Copy all into Word and use PlusToys" Mar 20, 2008

There is this macro that leaves only the target from a bilingual file in Word.

Second that.

All the rest - pretranslate and/or align or etc - looks like a bout of translational memorytis to me. All this just to get the source back ?!

Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:07
English to Chinese
+ ...
Do you mean…… Mar 21, 2008

Hi _TILLI,
Do you mean you can't copy the source text in a bilingual Word file translated by Trados?

It you want to copy some words in a bilingual Word file translated by Workbench, you need to do as follows:
1. Select the text you want to copy.
2. On the Format menu, click Font, and then click the Font tab.
3. Confirm you have not selected the Hidden check box.

Then you can copy any text that you want to other format file or email.

Good Luck!

[Edited at 2008-03-21 15:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to copy the SOURCE only in a bilingual file

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search