Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Connection Problem SDL Trados 2007 - Multiterm 7.5
Thread poster: igosch
igosch
Local time: 09:51
English to German
Mar 23, 2008

Hi,
This problem has already been raised, but the answers didn’t help me.
I cannot establish a connection between my workbench (Version SDL Trados 2007) and Multiterm 7.5. Like some of you I get the message: (-2147467259): Unspecified error. The strange thing is: on my laptop this particular connection works, but when I want to open my termbase I get the other error message which many of you are also familiar with: Runtime error (-2147467261). Of course, I have access to my Multiterm termbases in a roundabout way, but that’s not the way it’s supposed to work. Support from SDL Trados seems to be non-existent.
I would be very happy if some of you had new ideas - thank your!
Ingrid Gosch

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Check your termbases Mar 23, 2008

Try opening your termbases directly in MultiTerm and check the number of entries contained within the termbase that fails to connect to TWB.
If MultiTerm displays "Number of entries: 0", then you have to reload your termbase to MultiTerm first.
If you have recently upgraded to Trados 2007, the problem might be that your termbases are actually displayed in TWB (under "Options > Term Recognition Options") but they are in fact empty. And that's why TWB cannot connect to them.

igosch
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
First connection problem solved Mar 24, 2008

Hi,
I read again all the useful tips for resolving connection problems. I followed the advice given by Stanislav Pokorny on 19 March, located and ran the selfregister_multiterm_desktop.bat file. And it worked perfectly. Thank you very much! This only leaves the other connection error problem (-2147467261):(null), but I can live with that, although it annoys me.
Have a nice rest of the Easter weekend!
Ingrid Gosch

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Number of entries already checked? Mar 24, 2008

igosch wrote:

This only leaves the other connection error problem (-2147467261):(null)
Ingrid Gosch

Hi Ingrid, have you checked the number of entries in MultiTerm yet? This might solve the problem.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Solution by SDL Trados Mar 24, 2008

Here's what SDL Trados have to say about the issue:

MS Word: Connection Error -2147467261

Symptoms

Error String: "(-2147467261): (null)" or "Connection error 2147467261" is displayed when you want to select a termbase from within Microsoft Word.
Explanation
The MultiTerm7.dot.xml file saves the last settings that you made when working with termbases. In some situations, when trying to reload such settings, it searches for a session that does not exist anymore and the error "(-2147467261)(:null)" or "Connection error 2147467261" is displayed.
Resolution

To resolve this issue, simply delete the MultiTerm7dot.xml from the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Trados\MultiTerm (if using Windows XP)

or

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Trados\MultiTerm (if using Windows Vista)

Replace [UserName] with the name under which you are currently logged on to Microsoft Windows.

Hope this helps...

igosch
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Connection Problem SDL Trados 2007 - Multiterm 7.5 Mar 24, 2008

Hi Stanislav,
thank you very much for your replies!
I checked the number of entries in my termbase, it is 26,711, so the termbase is not empty. But as I wrote, this problem is solved now, following your advice.
But the second problem: I do not have a MultiTerm7.dot.xml file anywhere. If there was, shouldn’t the search engine be able to find it?
I also tried the “definite” solution that was suggested on 10 March. But I’m afraid I deleted too much (not knowing exactly what the “opening tag” and the “closing tag” is), it did not work. I think I’ll leave it to my son who is a computer wizard. For the moment I am happy that I do no longer have to access Multiterm in a roundabout way.
Thanks again!
Ingrid Gosch

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmmm... Mar 25, 2008

Hi Ingrid,
if you use e. g. Total Commander, you could search for the file using CTRL (or STRG on German keyboards) + F7.
An opening tag is e. g. [xy], a closing tag [/xy], only the brackets are different (like this ">").

[Upraveno: 2008-03-25 10:03]

igosch
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Connection Problem SDL Trados 2007 - Multiterm 7.5 Mar 25, 2008

Hi Stanislav,
Last night I had an idea. Could it be that I stored my MT termbase in the wrong place and that this is the reason why it cannot be found? I would now store it where the sample termbase originally was, which I unfortunately deleted because I don’t need it. Where was it? If this was the solution to my problem it would show again how stupid one can be.
Thanks again for your help!
Ingrid

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes Mar 26, 2008

Hi Ingrid!
yes, definitely! That might be the reason. Try to detach your termbases and reload them into MultiTerm and try and see.

igosch
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Connection Problem SDL Trados 2007 - Multiterm 7.5 Mar 26, 2008

Hi Stanislav,
I was so sure that I had found the solution to my problem, but unfortunately not, I get the same error message. In the Multiterm User Guide there is no indication whether the termbase has to be saved in a specific location. I give it up (for the time being). It is not absolutely necessary for me to access the termbase directly from Word.
Thank you very much for your patience and help!
Ingrid

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
:( Mar 26, 2008

Hi Ingrid,
I'm sorry I couldn't help you better. Maybe you could try to send a query to SDL International but I doubt they will ever reply. They never do unless you have purchased their Technical Support.

I have bought QA Distiller recently and the other day, I needed to find out about something. So I wrote to their technical support department and they replied within 2 hours! We all dream of having this kind of support from SDL Intl.

igosch
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Connection Problem Multiterm Mar 27, 2008

Hi Stanislav,

Your tip about the selfregister file really helped me, and it was very nice „talking“ to you.
I am just drafting a letter to SDL Trados which will not change anything, but I feel better. Apparently they help you when you have a support contract, but I don't see why I should pay for support when the installation has so many glitches. Why does the knowledge base no longer exist (or is it “under construction”?) so that you have to look for other sources of information. Fortunately ProZ is the greatest help, I only just discovered that. I also find the SDL Trados website badly organized, I just don’t find the information I’m looking for, not even about how to conclude a support contract (if I really wanted to) and the price. Is it 159 Euro, or 199 Euro? And I wonder what people with little knowledge of English do. Even when you chose German as a language, the text remains in English. I could go on forever...
Again, many thanks, and have a nice day!

Ingrid

Emma Hradecka  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Selfregister file Jun 9, 2008

Hi, I have exactly the same problem and reading your discussion has gotten my hopes high. Where do I find the selfregister_multiterm_desktop.bat file? I tried to look for it in Total Commander, in the C folder, but the program found nothing. Thanks a lot for any replies. Emma

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
File location Jun 9, 2008

Hi Emma,
the file is located in your SDL Trados installation folder (typically C:\Program Files\SDL International\Multiterm or similar).
Total Commander may have not found the file bec. the exact file name is #_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat (try to search for this file).

Anyway, to update the topic a bit, I've just realized that MultiTerm is sometimes having problems with TW interaction when the TM is using different local language code than MultiTerm (e.g. you're using a TM with en_GB as the source language but the termbase in MultiTerm uses en_US). Therefore, try to avoid using sublanguage codes in MultiTerm if possible.

igosch
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Connection Problem SDL Trados 2007 - Multiterm 7.5 Jun 9, 2008

Hi Emma,
The problem seems to be that the self-registration of Multiterm is not always run automatically (don’t ask me what that is in technical terms…). I found the file in C:\Programs\SDL International\Multiterm 2007. With a double-click I started the registration, and it did the trick.
I hope it helps!
Ingrid Gosch

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Connection Problem SDL Trados 2007 - Multiterm 7.5

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search