Strange Characters (Trados) (Mod: Search for topics on 'hidden text')
Thread poster: aussietrk
Mar 24, 2008

When normally making translation, I used to click the “open/get” button and after that there used to open one green box and one yellow box. but now when I click the same buton, the same boxes are open but some strange characters such as {0> , ,and
Source language sentence (sentence to be translated)

Target language sentence (sentence translated)
Source language sentence (sentence to be translated) Target language sentence (sentence translated

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:21
English to German
+ ...
Don't use tags in the forum - search for 'hidden text' Mar 25, 2008

Hi aussietrk,
Your posting was truncated because you used pointed brackets; these are mis-interpreted by the forum software.

aussietrk wrote:

When normally making translation, I used to click the “open/get” button and after that there used to open one green box and one yellow box. but now when I click the same buton, the same boxes are open but some strange characters such as
Code:
{0> , <}0{> ,and <0}

are added between the boxes as shown in the example below:

Code:
{0> 
>}0{<
>0}

When I click “set/close” button, source language sentence must be erased and instead of it translated sentence must be seen. But now both source language and target language sentences are seen next to each other with those strange characters among them. You can see the example after the translation:

Code:

{0>Source language sentence (sentence to be translated) <}0{>Target language sentence (sentence translated<0}

i am using ms word 2003

thanks.

The characters shown are non-printable characters and hidden text; there are numerous previous discussions on how to enable and disable hidden text display.

May I suggest to also look for some more background information on Trados tags in MS Word, and on formatting in Word.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2008-03-25 10:35]

aussietrk
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 25, 2008

thank you for your kind reply. that was great help for me. best regards.

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi aussietrk,
Your posting was truncated because you used pointed brackets; these are mis-interpreted by the forum software.

[quote]aussietrk wrote:

When normally making translation, I used to click the “open/get” button and after that there used to open one green box and one yellow box. but now when I click the same buton, the same boxes are open but some strange characters such as
Code:
{0> ,  ,and  
>}0{<
>0}

When I click “set/close” button, source language sentence must be erased and instead of it translated sentence must be seen. But now both source language and target language sentences are seen next to each other with those strange characters among them. You can see the example after the translation:

[code]
{0>Source language sentence (sentence to be translated) Target language sentence (sentence translated

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange Characters (Trados) (Mod: Search for topics on 'hidden text')

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search