SDLX - how to use a word translation
Thread poster: flavie99
flavie99
Local time: 20:34
Dutch to French
+ ...
Mar 25, 2008

Hi everybody.
I've been working with SDLX for a while and usually I create a TM from new translations.
But now I have an English text in a Word document and the French translation in another Word document and I'd like to enter them in SDLX somehow to be able to add the file in my TM...
I did consider making an .itd file of the English Word doc. and cut & paste-ing the French translation... but the file is about 50 pages long... so I'd love another solution!

It has to be possible, somehow... right?

Thx in advance
Flavie

Direct link Reply with quote

Niels Stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
WinAlign Mar 25, 2008

Isn't that exactly what WinAlign does?
That is the name of the aligning tool of Trados.

[Edited at 2008-03-25 18:46]

Laura Porcelli
Local time: 14:34
I thought so too Mar 25, 2008

That's what I thought too... but then I canceled my remark because i realized SDLX was mentioned, not SDL Trados.

They are two different CAT tools, but I have no experience with SDLX.

[Edited at 2008-03-25 21:03]

flavie99
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't know... Mar 26, 2008

Does anybody know how it works?
I did try the Align function... but I'm not sure how.
I made an .itd file of the English file, but then I don't know how to put the existing translation in...
Couldn't find any tutorials about this either... so if anyone has an address for it, I'd love to have it...

flavie99
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Isn't it the same thing? Mar 26, 2008

The main programm says SDLX, the "align" function says "SDL Align"... so I assume it is the same thing.
Do you happen to know how it works, Laura?

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the Align tool of SDLX Mar 26, 2008

Hi Flavie,

SDLX has its own alignment tool which is rather straight-forward and user-friendly (definitely a lot easier to use than WinAlign).

Just select Align in the Switchboard and create a new file. You can import your Word files (English and French) directly into the Align module and will get a two-column file (just like an itd) with pre-aligned segments. You will need to check that everything is correct and re-arrange a few segments but, as I said this should be rather straight-forward if the original files are good.

Among the documentation files that were installed with SDLX there should be a file called "SDL Align.pdf". This should contain all the information that you need.

HTH

Best regards,
Claudia

flavie99
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you sooo much Mar 26, 2008

I knew there had to be an easy way. I hadn't tried the "new" button, which I now did and it is working...
Thank you so much!
The only probklem is: I now have a doc. with about 2500 blocks to review...!

But it will definitely help.

Thx Claudia for taking time to help!
I really appreciate.
And thx to all others for your attention.

Have a great day!
F.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX - how to use a word translation

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search