Any possibility to deal with *.gif files?
Thread poster: Lise Smidth

Lise Smidth  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 21:25
German to Danish
+ ...
Mar 25, 2008

Hi,

a customer sent me a bunch of html template files (that's what he calls them anyway) for his website that has to be translated. Among them are a number of *.gif files with the buttons. It means in every file there is a gif showing the nice little button with its text.

How do I deal with these files using Trados? (or any way actually...). Do I have any chance to change the text in these buttons at all?

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions

Lise

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:25
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not a Trados job Mar 25, 2008

Dear Lise,
this is not a task where a CAT tool can be applied.

First of all, gif files are graphic files, and they need to edited or recreated using a graphic software.
All you could do, as a translator, is to provide the text for a graphic designer to produce the corresponding localized buttons, unless you have the necessary graphic skills...
Secondly, there are probably no repetitions and there is no advantage in using a translation memory for their textual content.

bye
Gianfranco

PS: I understand that you only received HTML files containing the buttons.
If you received, into those HTML files, the website content too, you can deal with them using TagEditor. HTML is a tagged format and TagEditor can process them without the need for any DTD file.

[Edited at 2008-03-25 19:42]

Lise Smidth  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought so Mar 26, 2008

gianfranco wrote:

Dear Lise,
this is not a task where a CAT tool can be applied.

First of all, gif files are graphic files, and they need to edited or recreated using a graphic software.
All you could do, as a translator, is to provide the text for a graphic designer to produce the corresponding localized buttons, unless you have the necessary graphic skills...
Secondly, there are probably no repetitions and there is no advantage in using a translation memory for their textual content.

bye
Gianfranco

PS: I understand that you only received HTML files containing the buttons.
If you received, into those HTML files, the website content too, you can deal with them using TagEditor. HTML is a tagged format and TagEditor can process them without the need for any DTD file.

[Edited at 2008-03-25 19:42]

Thanks for your answer. That was what I thought too - just wanted to be sure.

Yes I received all the html files with the website content. I will of course translate them with Tageditor. The point is of course that the text of the buttons will probably be in the other html files as well - that is why I wanted to use Trados. And I just hoped there might be a way to save me from opening every gif file and tip the text (or its translation in another file).

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
OCR Mar 26, 2008

Lise Smidth wrote:
The point is of course that the text of the buttons will probably be in the other html files as well - that is why I wanted to use Trados. And I just hoped there might be a way to save me from opening every gif file and tip the text (or its translation in another file).

Sure, you can OCR the graphics and translate the output in Trados.
But someone at some point will have to do this editing in Photoshop at the end.

So it's up to your deal with the client, who should do this. My guess is that the client has a dedicated graphics designer, who gladly would edit this much faster than you, provided he gets the plain text output.

So just go ahead and OCR those pesky gifs!

/J

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any possibility to deal with *.gif files?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search