Thread poster: Jessjean
Jessjean
Jessjean  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2008

Hi everyone,
Apologies if these queries are elsewhere on the forum - I have looked but didn't see anything.
I've recently upgraded from 6.5 to 7. I only have 7 running on my machine now. The 'issues' I have are probably very basic but very annoying!

1. The first time I used Trados 7, the French segments weren't shown unless you had that particular segment open (I translate French to English). I found this very useful - particularly when it came to the spell check. I
... See more
Hi everyone,
Apologies if these queries are elsewhere on the forum - I have looked but didn't see anything.
I've recently upgraded from 6.5 to 7. I only have 7 running on my machine now. The 'issues' I have are probably very basic but very annoying!

1. The first time I used Trados 7, the French segments weren't shown unless you had that particular segment open (I translate French to English). I found this very useful - particularly when it came to the spell check. I learned I could use the 'Show/hide' function to display both languages.
The next time I used it, this function seemed to have disappeared! Both languages are shown, regardless of whether you're in the segment or not. Anyone have any idea what may have happened?

2.When I use the concordance function, it will give you every variation of a translated term - as far as I know, there is probably only one term that should be used and many of the terms showed with concordance may have been updated/become obsolete.
Is it just a question of me looking at dates to see the most recent record? Even then, that still doesn't mean it's the right term.

3. With Trados 6.5, typos were highlighted with a red squiggle as I typed. This doesn't happen now. I realised this could be a word setting but adjusting the setting I thought it was didn't help. Also, before running a spellcheck, I have to 'select all' and set the language, even though the UK English is specified in the TM.

Again, I apologise if these have been covered elsewhere and for the fact these are probably very basic queries.

Any help very gratefully received!
Regards
Jessjean
Collapse

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Local time: 12:32
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
if I understand your questions right... Mar 28, 2008

these might be the solutions for the first two problems:

Issue 1:

In MS-Word, open 'tools' -> options -> view -> check/uncheck 'show hidden text'

Issue 2:

In Trados, open 'tools' - > concordance -> options -> check 'show most recent TU first.

hope that helps,

igor

Jessjean
Jessjean  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados tips Mar 29, 2008

Thanks very much Igor,
I will try see when I become chained back to my desk again on Monday!
Regards
Jess

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Trados 7

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »