How to save TUs in TM without the tags of TagEditor?
Thread poster: katrelnada
katrelnada
katrelnada  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 29, 2008

Hello,

I work with TagEditor version 8 and Windows XP, and I'm wondering if there is a way in TagEditor to save the TUs without the tags. The reason I'm asking is that although I'm trying to work mostly in TagEditor, sometimes I cannot for some reason clean-up or preview the file.
In cases like this I revert to the Translate to Fuzzy option and clean up in Word/Workbench. The presence of the Tags in the TM hinders this operation and slows its speed.
On the other hand, e
... See more
Hello,

I work with TagEditor version 8 and Windows XP, and I'm wondering if there is a way in TagEditor to save the TUs without the tags. The reason I'm asking is that although I'm trying to work mostly in TagEditor, sometimes I cannot for some reason clean-up or preview the file.
In cases like this I revert to the Translate to Fuzzy option and clean up in Word/Workbench. The presence of the Tags in the TM hinders this operation and slows its speed.
On the other hand, even if the same TU occurs again in a document I'm translating in TagEditor, the tags are probably not gonna be the same. So maybe there is a way to overcome all that by saving TUs to the TM without their tags?

Help!

Thnx.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 15:41
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Export and import Mar 29, 2008

using the lowest TMX version - you can strip the TM of the tags this way, I believe.

Antonin

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 21:41
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Copy to word Mar 29, 2008

1. Open the translated TTX file with tageditor

2. "CTRL+A" to select all , then" CTRL+C" to copy all.

3. Create a new WORD file, then "CTRL+V" to paste all contents to the word file.

4.Search &Replace > advanced search, to search for "Courier New" font and "red" color characters ,replace them with nothing.

5. All tags are removed now. Save the word file and clean it using workbench.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Remember the hs-tag Mar 30, 2008

Jing Nie wrote:

1. Open the translated TTX file with tageditor

2. "CTRL+A" to select all , then" CTRL+C" to copy all.

3. Create a new WORD file, then "CTRL+V" to paste all contents to the word file.

4.Search &Replace > advanced search, to search for "Courier New" font and "red" color characters ,replace them with nothing.

5. All tags are removed now. Save the word file and clean it using workbench.

First you should replace the :hs-tag with space, otherwise it will be lost.

katrelnada
katrelnada  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thnx Mar 30, 2008

Thank you all for your input. Two questions to :

Antonin: what do you mean lowest TMX version? Could you pls elaborate...

& Heinrich: what are the hs-tags?

Appreciate your help, guys!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
hs-tag Mar 31, 2008

This stands for a white space that is bound to the string before and after it. So in tagged documents hs-tags appear e.g. at places like "3 m", "500 Euro", so that the number and the unite stay together on one line of text, otherwise this could happen:
m
Euro
If you remove all tags you get 3m, 500Euro, which is wrong by all standards, even if one sees them all the time.

Newer versions of tmx-standard are more compatible to tags than older versions
... See more
This stands for a white space that is bound to the string before and after it. So in tagged documents hs-tags appear e.g. at places like "3 m", "500 Euro", so that the number and the unite stay together on one line of text, otherwise this could happen:
m
Euro
If you remove all tags you get 3m, 500Euro, which is wrong by all standards, even if one sees them all the time.

Newer versions of tmx-standard are more compatible to tags than older versions, version 1.1 would drop them, 1.4b would keep them when converting. In Workbench you can select the tms-version prior to exporting.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:41
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
How to save TUs in TM without the tags of TagEditor? Mar 31, 2008

katrelnada wrote:

The reason I'm asking is that although I'm trying to work mostly in TagEditor, sometimes I cannot for some reason clean-up or preview the file.

I think you should concentrate on solving this problem. Trying to save the TUs without the tags just makes things more complicated.

Also, make sure the following switch is selected in Workbench:
Options - Translation Memory Options - General - Strip tags from fuzzy matches if no tags appear in the source segment

And by the way, hs stands for hard space or non-breaking space.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to save TUs in TM without the tags of TagEditor?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »