Thread poster: Eleni Makantani

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 11:29
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 1, 2008

Hello again,

I am working on some .xml files and I wanted to load them on TagEditor (SDL Trados 7). The problem is that the files contain embedded code and this code doesn't appear like tags, but like plain text.

Is there some setting I can do to restore the tags?

Thanks,
E.

[Edited at 2008-04-01 10:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 10:29
German
+ ...
Code Snippet Apr 1, 2008

Can you please send me a short section of the XML document ?

You can use c:\windows\notepad.exe to copy a selection of text containing those embedded tags, make a new, empty text (.txt) file in Notepad and then paste it there. Attach it to an e-mail and send it to pischner#tectranslate.de (substitute the # with @.)

Then I'll have a look at them ASAP.

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't permit the direct quoting of markup text, or else you could just place the copied text in a new posting...

Regards,
Benjamin

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
CDATA section Apr 1, 2008

I've looked at the file and unfortunately, that behavior is by design. See, the affected text is in a CDATA section, which means it cannot (must not!) be interpreted by an XML parser. Everything that is in such a section will be read "as-is" without tag markup.

The only solutions I can see are that either:
a) your client stops using those CDATA sections (there are better ways and in the example you sent me they are clearly overusing them) or
b) you remove the offending CDATA prior to translation by editing the files in Notepad and then putting the CDATA instructions back in once you're done translating.

I've edited the example file you sent to me accordingly, just to show what I have in mind. Check your e-mail.

HTH,
Benjamin

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 11:29
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 1, 2008

Many thanks, Benjamin. I think I'll ask the client to provide me with the original, text-only document. This will mean, of course, that my deadline will be a lot stricter, but at least I will get the chance to work undistracted.

Thanks again!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
New Plug-in available Apr 22, 2008

Just in case you (or someone else who stumbles upon this thread) are going to encounter this problem again: there is a plug-in in Trados 2007 SP2 that supposedly enables you to edit these pesky CDATA sections and mark up the tags.

See this Trados Knowledge Base entry and this ProZ.com forum thread for more info.

HTH,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded code in .xml not included in tags

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search