https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/101141-bilingual_files_source_language_disappears.html

Bilingual files- source language disappears!
Thread poster: Sofia Ortega
Sofia Ortega
Sofia Ortega
Spain
Local time: 03:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 1, 2008

Hi there,

I have been using Trados for several years so far with a few of tech problems, luckily all sorted out!
But last week something happened to my bilingual files. Basically, everytime I close a translation segment, the source language is not there anymore, it looks as if the document was already cleaned up. Of course, I can still open every segment, but it is quite frustrating as I can´t see the 2 languages anymore. Also, one of my customers asked (for the first time, M
... See more
Hi there,

I have been using Trados for several years so far with a few of tech problems, luckily all sorted out!
But last week something happened to my bilingual files. Basically, everytime I close a translation segment, the source language is not there anymore, it looks as if the document was already cleaned up. Of course, I can still open every segment, but it is quite frustrating as I can´t see the 2 languages anymore. Also, one of my customers asked (for the first time, Murphy's law) to provide them with the bilingual file and the cleaned up one...and I don´t know what to do to solve this issue...

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Niels Stephan
Niels Stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
Must be a feature Apr 1, 2008

For me it was the other way around: It was always like this (invisible original segment after transltion, but it still is there, together with equally invisible Trados tags) and all of a sudden I see both segments after the translation of a segment. So I figured it must be a feature, but I didn't find out so far, how to switch it on and off.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search the forum for "hidden text" Apr 1, 2008

Hi Sofia,
I assume that you're working in Word - is this correct?

May I suggest to search this forum for "hidden text" - in fact, the issue has been discussed numerous times.

But last week something happened to my bilingual files. Basically, everytime I close a translation segment, the source language is not there anymore, it looks as if the document was already cleaned up. Of course, I can still open every segment, but it is quite frustrating as I can´t see the 2 languages anymore. Also, one of my customers asked (for the first time, Murphy's law) to provide them with the bilingual file and the cleaned up one...and I don´t know what to do to solve this issue...

The display of hidden text does not affect the presence of source segments - what you will need to do is to clean up the file. I suggest to look at the Trados File Formats Reference Guide for a workflow description.

Best regards,
Ralf

Guillermo Arahuete
Guillermo Arahuete  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sofía Apr 2, 2008

You have two options:

1) Press the show/hide icon in Word. (on the left of the number indicating page size (zoom)

2) In word, go to Tools, Options, View Tab, Hidden Text (you should check it to activate the feature)

Sofia Ortega
Sofia Ortega
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 2, 2008

Issue sorted out!
Thanks to you all, guys!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual files- source language disappears!

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »