Stephen McCann
Stephen McCann  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2008

I'm trying to translate a word file using SDL Trados 2007 SP2 and Word 2003. The file consists of a 7-column table in which the first 6 columns are write-protected (data not to be translated). The problem is that when I try to open a translation unit, if the cursor is not on the text in the 7th column (unprotected) it skips all the way down to the end of the file without opening anything. The same thing happens when I have a unit open and press "Set/Close Next Get/Open" or "Translate to Fuzzy". ... See more
I'm trying to translate a word file using SDL Trados 2007 SP2 and Word 2003. The file consists of a 7-column table in which the first 6 columns are write-protected (data not to be translated). The problem is that when I try to open a translation unit, if the cursor is not on the text in the 7th column (unprotected) it skips all the way down to the end of the file without opening anything. The same thing happens when I have a unit open and press "Set/Close Next Get/Open" or "Translate to Fuzzy". So the only solution I have found is to open and close each unit one by one, which is quite time consuming and annoying. I was using Trados 6.5 with the same type of files before recently upgrading, and never had this problem before.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I consinder this normal behaviour of Trados Apr 2, 2008

Why don't you try to go for Tageditor?
There you can forget about any similar trouble.

Regards
Jerzy

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
No solution Apr 2, 2008

This is normal for such tables.
You can copy the unprotected column to the new document and translate it there.

Stephen McCann
Stephen McCann  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor Apr 2, 2008

The problem is that my client wants an unclean word file, and TagEditor only allows me to save a bilingual ttx or a clean .doc.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It's a question of education Apr 2, 2008

The problem is that my client wants an unclean word file

They have yet to get it (sg). Maybe you should demonstrate to them, that in their case an uncleaned word file would just not cut it. Send them an example and let them mull over it.

In the mean time follow Jerzy's advice and use TagEditor - of course do not proceed too fast: give the client time to sink it in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with word tables in Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »