https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/101261-how_to_return_trados_software_where_to_get_a_refund.html

How to return Trados software - where to get a refund
Thread poster: FILARDO
FILARDO
FILARDO
Local time: 06:59
English to Portuguese
Apr 2, 2008

I have had problems with my 1,000-dollar trados regarding Word Collector, problems with Clean Up, problems with file conversion...

I requested my money back, since they do not reply to my requests and send offers of paid support packages...

Do you have an idea of how could I get my money back?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-03 06:11]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 11:59
German
+ ...
Let us know if you succeed Apr 3, 2008

The title says it all. I've never heard of this before so I'd be interested how it turns out for you.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try to sell to someone Apr 3, 2008

Software licenses are sold on eBay as far as I know.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Are you sure this is possible with Freelance license? Apr 3, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Check the EULA, it is possible that you are not supposed to sell your Freelance license.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not permitted Apr 5, 2008

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Check the EULA, it is possible that you are not supposed to sell your Freelance license.

Hi both,
according to the EULA, it is not possible to sell or transfer the licence on any other person (entity).

FILARDO
FILARDO
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Productivity reduction Apr 9, 2008

Hi folks,

I do not want to do anything illegal. All I want is to have my money back.

I purchased the program because I thought that after all these years in the market, there would not be any issues or bugs.

The, I find that instead of helping me improve my productivity, it reduces it, because the Clean Up would not work correctly and I loose work all the time.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Give it a try Apr 9, 2008

Hi FILARDO,

"I find that instead of helping me improve my productivity, it reduces it, because the Clean Up would not work correctly and I loose work all the time".

The way I work to avoid clean-up problems is as follows:

1. I review the translation in the uncleaned file.
2. I save the unclean file as XXX_unclean.doc.
3. I run the macro tw4winClean.Main (press Alt+F8 to get to Macros, type TW to invoke the Clean macro, press Enter).
... See more
Hi FILARDO,

"I find that instead of helping me improve my productivity, it reduces it, because the Clean Up would not work correctly and I loose work all the time".

The way I work to avoid clean-up problems is as follows:

1. I review the translation in the uncleaned file.
2. I save the unclean file as XXX_unclean.doc.
3. I run the macro tw4winClean.Main (press Alt+F8 to get to Macros, type TW to invoke the Clean macro, press Enter).
4. Later, when I have time I run the unclean file through Trados.

Please note that if you make corrections in the unclean file by opening and closing each segment, you don't need to go through the cleaning procedure at all - the TM is updated by the Open/Close procedure.
Don't give up so easily.

HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

FILARDO
FILARDO
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Intelligence Apr 9, 2008

Hi Sandra,

Very creative and intelligent your solution!

However, the intelligence and creativity should exist IN de software. If we, end-users, are going to have to find ad hoc solutions for product bugs, it is clear that the product does not fit the purpose.

Honestly, the trade-off in Trados' case is negative. I am faster without it.

And I noticed, through the forums, that there is a lot of other errors that, for now, have not appeared, but
... See more
Hi Sandra,

Very creative and intelligent your solution!

However, the intelligence and creativity should exist IN de software. If we, end-users, are going to have to find ad hoc solutions for product bugs, it is clear that the product does not fit the purpose.

Honestly, the trade-off in Trados' case is negative. I am faster without it.

And I noticed, through the forums, that there is a lot of other errors that, for now, have not appeared, but that are potentially in the software, that will show up exactly at the wrong time.

Remember Murphy's.....

abraço

Filardo
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Intelligence the second Apr 9, 2008

The solution described here is neither new nor does it exist due to a direct bug in the software itself.
Most problems with cleanup of Word files appear because the Word file is not correct formatted.
Also most of other errors appear due to user faults, not because the software is wants it so.
An BTW, do you know any software without a slightest bug?

Regards
Jerzy

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Alright! Apr 9, 2008

However, the intelligence and creativity should exist IN de software.

You think? Next thing you know, it's gonna apply for citizenship!

Seriously, software is just as intelligent or creative as a hammer or a lathe. They're all just tools to support the user in expressing or manifesting his or her intelligence and creativity.
But the more complex a tool is, the more demanding it is of the user (I, for one, can use a hammer without major accidents, but I don't know how to operate a lathe for beans). If you want it to do amazing things for you, you're going to have to really dig in and figure out all the ins and outs. Some people become real artists, others eventually find the whole thing not worth the effort. Both is fine, by the way. To each their own.

All that being said, I understand your frustration and I'll tell anybody who wants to hear my opinion that the sole reason I'm still sticking to Trados is that there is no other tool on the market right now that can do all the things Trados does, and on top of that, it is the de facto standard. That doesn't mean I like the bugs it definitely has, or SDL's customer support policy, or the way they communicate with their customers (i.e. often not at all, or just replying with form letters, as in your case). And it doesn't mean that I'll stick with it until the end of time, but for my purposes there is no convincing alternative at this point in time.

The good news is, if you're just looking for a program to ease repeated translations of similar Word documents, you've got plenty of choices, with Wordfast being the most obvious one, but others such as DejaVu (etc. etc.) also come to mind. It all depends on your expectations and what you want to do with it. You want to use the full range of features and all the different document formats there are, you're going to have to get used to your tool's peculiarities and find ways of getting the job done regardless.

Best regards,
Benjamin

P.S.: You're definitely not supposed to sell your license if SDL get their wish, but you may be legally entitled to sell it anyway, depending on your local legislation. To my best knowledge, it is definitely legal here in Germany and you may want to ask a lawyer in your country about the situation there.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
It may take a while Apr 10, 2008

[FILARDO wrote:

And I noticed, through the forums, that there is a lot of other errors that, for now, have not appeared, but that are potentially in the software, that will show up exactly at the wrong time.
]

Hi Filardo,

This is not a forum of happy campers. People come here when they have a problem, and as this usually happens when they are under pressure to finish a job they are likely to be quite upset.

It is true that in the beginni
... See more
[FILARDO wrote:

]

Hi Filardo,

This is not a forum of happy campers. People come here when they have a problem, and as this usually happens when they are under pressure to finish a job they are likely to be quite upset.

It is true that in the beginning there is no much difference in productivity. However, as your translation memory increases, you'll find it an invaluable tool for remembering past translated phrases or strings.
A major benefit is that you work in the source document, so the chance that you will miss something is very small, or none, plus the much more convenient review after translation.
Whether you choose to stay with Trados or purchase (and learn) another CAT tool, it's up to you, but I would not trash all CAT tools.

Cheer up,
Sandra
Collapse

FILARDO
FILARDO
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I rest my case... Apr 10, 2008

Hi, Folks,

Sandra,

In my case, there is no rush or pressure. I purchased Trados to improve my readiness, just in case I receive a proposal involving large projects with CAT proficiency.

And I am taking the most correct way to deal with SDL support. They seem to be irresponsible towards their clients.

In the current Internet world, nothing but my ethics prevents me from posting the program and the key over the Internet. That would be a reveng
... See more
Hi, Folks,

Sandra,

In my case, there is no rush or pressure. I purchased Trados to improve my readiness, just in case I receive a proposal involving large projects with CAT proficiency.

And I am taking the most correct way to deal with SDL support. They seem to be irresponsible towards their clients.

In the current Internet world, nothing but my ethics prevents me from posting the program and the key over the Internet. That would be a revenge, but does not solve the problem.

But, I rest my case. I'll swallow the frog, as we say down here in Brazil...

Have a very nice day, you all...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to return Trados software - where to get a refund

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »