Thread poster: katrelnada

katrelnada  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 5, 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to perform a simple enough task (or so I thought!). I'd like to know how many duplicate terms I have in my Termbase and to export only those entries.

I'm a bit rusty in MultiTerm, but I had a hard time finding:
- a way of knowing how many entries I have in the hits pane.
- A simple filter to use with the export (Termbase catalogue) although the software recognizes a duplicate terms search. When I tried to create a filter, I failed because I have a TB with a very simple structure.

At this point, I'm not looking to merge or delete entries. Just to know how many I have & to export them.

Am I missing something here?

Thnx for any help or advice.

P.S.: I'm using MultiTerm 7 with W XP

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-05 12:13]

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not so easy to export duplicates Apr 5, 2008

Hi,

I don't think there is any simple way of exporting the duplicates.

As far as I know, the only way to get a list of duplicates is to use the MultiTerm API from Visual Basic (or any other programming languages).

IF you are not into programming, there are other possible way (which you might also have considered):

- Export the whole database as XML file, import it into a newly created database.

- Import again the same XML file but change the import settings. Synchronise on source term and tell MultiTerm to write to exclusion file the entries where the source term already exists. This will give you at least an idea, although it is not perfect.

Another way:

- Create a custom export definition where only the source term is exported. This should result in a basic list of terms which you can them open in Excel or Access to identify the duplicates.

I hope this helps...

Daniel

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:58
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Or export as a tab-delimited file Apr 5, 2008

Alternatively you could export your entire database as a tab-delimited file, then open it as a .txt file.

This will give you quick access to a full list of all your terms. You can also open the same file in Excel if you wish. Either way you will be able to see all your duplicate terms.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 7 - how to identify and export duplicates

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search