Applying Multiterm as TM (or converting Multiterm to TM)
Thread poster: Languageman

Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:20
German to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to apply a Multiterm as a TM in TagEditor. I know how to do this in SDLX (Termbase -> Apply), but can't for the life of me work out how to do something similar with Trados. Alternatively, could I convert/import a glossary in Excel spreadsheet format (or CSV, etc.) into a TM?

Basically, I have been sent a glossary by a customer, and the job contains hundreds of single word segments that match the glossary. I want to automatically translate these.

Thanks for your ideas,

Stephen

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 12:20
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How I would do it .... Apr 7, 2008

1. convert the customer's glossary to a 2-column Word table
2. Use PlusToyz (*) to convert the word file to a bilingual TRADOS file.
3. Pretranslate, i.e. use TM as an output in TWB for the file created in 2.

You get PlusToyz here:
http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip

Kudos again for Arkadij Visotski for this tool.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Try MS Access Apr 7, 2008

In such cases, I open the Multiterm tables in MS Access, make a query which extracts the table I need, and (e.g. via Excel) create the TM.

Antonin

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Use MultiTerm Convert Apr 7, 2008

Alternatively you could use MultiTerm Convert to convert your Excel file into a MultiTerm .xml file.

Then create your Termbase with MultiTerm and import your .xml file.

You will then have a Termbase that will contain the terminology from your Excel glossary.

To use it in TagEditor, in your TM Workbench select Term Recognition from the Options menu.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to apply terms automatically? Apr 7, 2008

Paul Malone wrote:

To use it in TagEditor, in your TM Workbench select Term Recognition from the Options menu.

Thanks for the tip Paul. I had actually done that already, what escapes me is how to apply the terms automatically in the translation, rather than having to type them out/cut and paste when they are highlighted by term recognition.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give it a go Apr 7, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

You get PlusToyz here:

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to create the TM? Apr 7, 2008

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

In such cases, I open the Multiterm tables in MS Access, make a query which extracts the table I need, and (e.g. via Excel) create the TM.

Antonin

Thanks, could you clarify what you mean by "...and (e.g. via Excel) create the TM." That's the bit that I can't work out.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect Apr 7, 2008

Languageman wrote:

Vito Smolej wrote:

You get PlusToyz here:

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Thanks, it worked a treat. Kudos to you too for pointing me in the right direction!

Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:20
Member (2008)
English to Russian
How to translate terms automatically Apr 8, 2008

Languageman wrote:

what escapes me is how to apply the terms automatically in the translation, rather than having to type them out/cut and paste when they are highlighted by term recognition.

Try 'Tools' > 'Translate' > 'Translate terms' option in Workbench. Is it what you're looking for?

Maxim Manzhosin

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
just a thought Apr 8, 2008

The OP's problem is solved, but I think some mental masturbation - I mean thought experiment - is in order here.

So it should be possible to export the termbase into an excel table of some sort and use a method similar to this: http://www.proz.com/howto/49
I.e. use insert column in excel and then export to txt and use find and replace to make a txt with the appropriate tags that you can import into Trados. One could just take a look at an existing memory export, use some bits and generate the rest.
Could be an alternative of PlusToys.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
That would do it too Apr 8, 2008

Maxim Manzhosin wrote: Try 'Tools' > 'Translate' > 'Translate terms' option in Workbench. Is it what you're looking for?
... with much less hassle if you do it right. I did have cases, where TWB replaced terms in the source (!) - the result was of course pure horror.

That's why instead of the shortcut over the minefield I prefer to take longer way via Word / PlusToyz.

[Edited at 2008-04-08 10:45]

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Applying the terms automatically Apr 8, 2008

Hi again Languageman,

Are you wanting to be able to get your terms from your MultiTerm termbase into your TagEditor document as you translate without having to cut and paste them?

I'm not sure I've understood correctly what you are wanting to do. If you are wanting to insert Terms into TagEditor from MultiTerm as you translate and you have followed the procedure above as you say, all you need to do is the following; activate term recognition in your Translator's Workbench, then use alt + direction arrows, or click on the 'Get previous term/Get next term/Get current term' icons on the 'Workbench' toolbar in TagEditor.

Doing so lets you insert the terms where you want them as you translate. Personally I use the keyboard shortcuts (alt + arrows) as I find it quicker. The terms should appear in the 'Terminology window' of Translator's Workbench. You can toggle back and forth to and from the terms you want as you need them, again using alt + direction arrows, or by clicking on the Workbench toolbar icons.

Let me know if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do, and if so I'll shut up

All the best,
Paul

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 8, 2008

Paul Malone wrote:

... If you are wanting to insert Terms into TagEditor from MultiTerm as you translate ..., then use alt + direction arrows, or click on the 'Get previous term/Get next term/Get current term' icons on the 'Workbench' toolbar in TagEditor.

Thanks Paul,

Not exactly what I was looking for, but worth adding to the thread nonetheless. My initial post wasn't that succinct; what I was after was something that automatically applies matches from Multiterm, e.g. if I select "Translate to fuzzy" and the segment exactly matches something in the Multiterm, then it will translate and skip over it automatically. The pretranslation using the 'Translate terms' option you suggested before is good (and I will use that again). Since at the time of posting I was already part way through the file, the PlusToyz trick to get the Word table into the TM worked a treat in this case.

Thanks again to everyone who replied, not only did you save me time on this job, I also learned a number of valuable new tricks for the future.

Cheers,

Stephen

bluejana
Local time: 06:20
German to English
Adding on to these questions Nov 21, 2012

Hi All!

Your threat has been helpful to me.

I have a large 100,000 word document that has been translated over time through weekly updates. My client finalized a Terminology base that we then turned into a MutiTerm Term Base using SDL MutliTerm 2007 (am also using Trados 2007).

The TM matches are about 90% in the 100% match category. I am now trying to review the document to ensure that the newly approved terms in the term database are correct, but I cannot find a way for it to stop any time there is a keyterm match or mismatch while translating to fuzzy.

Is there a way to "translate to fuzzy" and have it stop when there are keyterms from the MultiTerm base?

Thanks in advance!
bluejana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Applying Multiterm as TM (or converting Multiterm to TM)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search