A limit for translation memory in Trados
Thread poster: Kerem Severoğlu (X)
Kerem Severoğlu (X)
Kerem Severoğlu (X)
Local time: 15:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 9, 2008

Why we have to (have to?) save our translation memories under different (seperate) files.
Can't we collect all our translation memory in one TM file?
Is there a number limit for sentences to be stored in TM?

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:26
English to French
+ ...
Demo? Apr 9, 2008

Are you using a demo version of Trados?

How big are your current TMs, how many units do they contain?

To join them all into one TM, you need to export their content and then re-import the export files into one TM.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
I guess this is rather limit coming from the database engine Apr 9, 2008

Kerem Severoğlu wrote:

Is there a number limit for sentences to be stored in TM?

AFAIK, you can store about 1 mln units in file-based TM and still use the TM. Reaching 1,5 mln units will probably make TM unusable due to errors in database engine.

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Not a must Apr 9, 2008

Ability to save memories in different files instead of keeping one memory is a feature, not a must. Maintaining one big mama TM is a pain, especially when working for many agencies and end customers. Various businesses and organizations have their individual preferences with regard to terminology and style. Segmentation rules may vary, too. There are several ways of maintaining TMs:

1) One huge memory to rule them all.
2) One memory per customer + (if needed) a separate one pe
... See more
Ability to save memories in different files instead of keeping one memory is a feature, not a must. Maintaining one big mama TM is a pain, especially when working for many agencies and end customers. Various businesses and organizations have their individual preferences with regard to terminology and style. Segmentation rules may vary, too. There are several ways of maintaining TMs:

1) One huge memory to rule them all.
2) One memory per customer + (if needed) a separate one per larger project.
3) One memory per project.
4) One memory per subject area.

By my own standards (I have lived with CATs for 7 years or so now), the best way to preserve sanity is to use the combination of 2) and 4), i.e. have a separate memory for each subject field (IT, contracts, consumer electronics, engineering manuals or whatever your choices are), and then to make a separate one if there is a customer or a large project with particular requirements regarding segmentation, terminology or style.

In case of 3, the granulity it too high to make the system manageable and even useful to start with. In case of 1, advantages are few (repetitions between translations from various fields are scarce and highly accidental), and disadvantages many (difficult to export anything useful out if it, the same term translated in several ways in concordance, useless in pre-translation, etc.).

[Edited at 2008-04-09 10:38]
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:26
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
There's clearly an upper limit Apr 9, 2008

I tried importing some of those enormous EU TMs into Trados and the program consistently froze up, so clearly there's an upper limit (either imposed by the software or by my computer's RAM). I just don't know what it is.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The first sound barrier... Apr 9, 2008

TWB crashes into, is the free disk space on C (!)
I tried importing some of those enormous EU TMs into Trados and the program consistently froze up,

I have been going through the same hell and frustration, but then I decided to have a serious word with my C drive. Freeing hard disk space allowed then the Microsoft Jet Engine blow the TM up to the requested size. Note that it does not help to keep TMs somewhere else, it's the temp in localuser - or whatever that sandbox is called: either you have the 2,3 GBs available or you dont - of course the Access can't say how much TWB will be eventually costing in real estate, so you find it out after a lot of crunching (duh...). Corollary: the sooner it happens, the more urgent it is you have a close look at the state your boot drive is in.

Anyhow I do have now those enormous UE TMs (actually THAT enormous TM) under my belt.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-04-09 13:50]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
strange Apr 10, 2008

I'm guessing you both are talking about the DGT-TM database...
My comp has ample resources (2GB RAM, ~80GB free HDD space) but it still can't open the 800,000 TU memory ("not enough storage space" message). But I can use it as a reference memory - which is what my original objective was anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A limit for translation memory in Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »