New to Trados : Question about 'termbases'?
Thread poster: Anne-Sophie Cardinal

Anne-Sophie Cardinal  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:12
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 12, 2008

Hello!

I am brand new to Trados and trying to figure it all out with the self-running tutorials.
I have a VERY BASIC question:

What and where are 'termbases'? I am trying to select one, from the 'Term Recognition Options', but can not seem to find where the location is.

Since I am just starting to use the program, do I have a termbase already or do I need to create one?

Thank you so much for your time and help!

A-S C

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Termbases Apr 12, 2008

"Termbase" is a fancy way of saying "glossary database." You'll need to create them (though sometimes clients supply them).

The idea is that you feed your glossary terms into this database, and then your CAT software's Term Recognition feature alerts you when you're translating a sentence that includes one of your glossary terms.

In SDL Trados, you'll use the Multiterm programs to create and add data to termbases.

[Edited at 2008-04-12 10:06]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Ecolotrain helps Apr 12, 2008

Here is a page that shows you, step by step, how to create a termbase in MultiTerm. You can just browse the HTML exercise, or if you prefer, you can open its PDF version at the bottom of the page.

http://ecolotrain.uni-saarland.de/index.php?id=1680&L=1

On the left side of the same page, you also have links to two other exercises: one about populating MultiTerm termbases, and another about importing terminology into termbases.

Once you have used these exercises, you only need to read the relevent section of the Trados manual about having Workbench and Word interface with MultiTerm so you can use automatic term recognition and so you can search and add terms from within Word.

All the best!

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you very much! Apr 12, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Here is a page that shows you, step by step, how to create a termbase in MultiTerm. You can just browse the HTML exercise, or if you prefer, you can open its PDF version at the bottom of the page.

http://ecolotrain.uni-saarland.de/index.php?id=1680&L=1

Thanks Victoria!

I use Multiterm 7. So far I´ve been able to import xls glossaries into Multiterm, but could never create a termbase from scratch.
The link you provided is extremely usefull for me too.
Nice weekend!
Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Trados : Question about 'termbases'?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search