Sabina Metcalf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:24
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 19, 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I was wondering if you could please help me with this issue. I'm opening a file in TagEditor and getting the following error message:

(35017): SSLex0105e: Invalid token, Line 196, Offset 113, <

I've been working with the TagEditor for a couple of years now and never encountered such a problem. I open Translator's Workbench, then TagEditor > File > Open, and the error message pops up.

I have Trados 6.5 and an upgrade is not currently an option.

I contacted the SDLX Support and awaiting their response, googling by error number didn't enlighten me either.

Many thanks!

[Edited at 2008-04-19 13:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
More info Apr 19, 2008

Have you been able to work in this file at all?

Because I think the file is corrupt; you need to ask the client to check it.
'Invalid token' hints at an error somewhere in the code.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which Trados-version was the file created with? Apr 20, 2008

A version conflict would be the easiest explanation for this error.
Since you do not post any information about the file type, no further help is possible I'm afraid.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
/ Apr 20, 2008

Thank you Margreet and Jerzy, I appreciate your willingness to help. Actually, I have researched this issue thoroughly and it does seem to have something to do with discrepancies between Trados versions - I use Trados 6.5 and the client saved the file in Trados 7. I guess I would end up upgrading after all.

Many thanks!
-S.

joachim
Dutch to English
Invalid token and xml parser Apr 22, 2008

"Invalid token" is a hint that something went wrong with your file when it was parsed by the application.

You get the "

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't use tags in the forum... Apr 22, 2008

Hi Joachim,
joachim wrote:

"Invalid token" is a hint that something went wrong with your file when it was parsed by the application.

You get the "<" character in your message, which is a reserved character in xml, so probably something is wrong in the xml (ttx is xml, wrapping tagged text).

Open your file in notepad or another text editor and look for a sequence of two "<".

Your posting was cut off because the forum software also interprets the pointed brackets as tags.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2008-04-22 14:18]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some additional information Apr 22, 2008

If the file comes from InDesign, the following "Best practice" is recommended by SDL in their knowledge base (talisma.sdl.com)
Best Practices for working with InDesign Files

Symptoms
Your InDesign documents need to be in a technically "perfect condition" for them to work with SDL Trados.

"Perfect condition" means, that your documents should try to match the "best practices" as close as possible.

If your translators also follow some guidelines, everything should work.

Explanation
Resolution
In InDesign do not use embedded graphics, but referenced graphics only. This keeps the file size smaller and makes it more easy for the SDL Trados filter to process the INX files.
Use as little "stories" (aka "text boxes") as possible – try to use "connected" stories wherever possible.
Make sure, that you have set up a professional catalog of (cascading) paragraph and character styles – and try to avoid manual / local formatting overrides wherever possible.
Make sure you have no "overflow text" in your document.
Do use only the Unicode based OpenType fonts. Try to find a fitting OpenType "Pro" font especially when you are also translating your documents into "non-western" languages. You should never ever use the outdated "Type1" Font format in the Unicode application InDesign – especially not if you are translating into "non-western languages.
Clean up your documents before saving to INX: open the paragraph, character, object styles and color field palettes, execute the "select all unused" from each of their context menus and delete them.
Clean up document history by using the "Save as copy..." command from the File menu. This can dramatically decrease InDesign file size and make it easier to process the file for the TMS.
Please also try to save your InDesign files to INX and reopen the INX back in InDesign. This can further clean-up your document especially for legacy documents. In InDesign CS2 problematic documents often fail during save to INX or open INX. (Works better in CS3)
Advise your translators to never ever use the "Shrink Segment" or "Expand Segment" function when translating InDesign documents.

Also it is a very good idea, to make a "simulation" of the translation process to verify if you can convert back the files after translation. To do this, please follow these instructions:

Open the Workbench.
Create a new, empty Translation Memory
In the Workbench with the open Translation Memory
Select Tools -> Translate and add your TTX file.
Select (activate) the "Segment unknown sentences" checkbox.
Select "Translate" button.

You will now get a pre-segmented TTX file.

Open the .TTX file TagEditor.
Open the "Replace" dialog (Ctrl+h) and type in e.g. "e" in the "Find what:" field and e.g. "XX" in the "Replace with:" field. Select (activate) the checkbox "Search target only".
Execute with "Replace All".
Now try to save this "fake translation" back to INX by selecting: File > "Save target As...".
If it works, you have a good chance that your documents will "survive" the translation process.
If it fails, go back to step 1 in the beginning as there will be some other fundamental problems in your InDesign files.

(Article ID 1936)

Please note also the article 1893, which among other things states:
Important: All installations of SDL Trados 2007 which are used in the translation supply chain must be updated to use the same version of the filter.

This means, that if the ttx file has been created with a different version than yours, it may cause trouble (even or exactly because you state your version is 6.5)

BR
Jerzy

joachim
Dutch to English
Continued Apr 22, 2008

Look for a sequence of two < characters. this causes any xml parser to crash (unless the section is within a CDATA processing instruction).

You can do this manually or with a regular expression:

(<[^>]*< )

This will look for any string that starts with a < and ends with a < without having a > somewhere in between

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
/ Apr 22, 2008

Thank you Jerzy and Joachim for your comprehensive responses. Actually, the upgrade I mentioned ealier seems to have sorted this issue but I'm sure other colleagues encountering similar problems would find this topic useful. Many thanks!

S.

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
InDesign Best Practices ... May 27, 2008

Hi Jerzy,

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
If the file comes from InDesign, the following "Best practice" is recommended by SDL in their knowledge base (talisma.sdl.com)
Best Practices for working with InDesign Files (...)

(Article ID 1936)

Thanks for quoting this. This is exactly the same text that I was writing here in this forum on March 3 (source here). SDL support asked me if they can put the text on the kb article site if they mention me as the autor. I agreed, but it seems they forgot to mention the author

Just wanted to have this said

Cheers,
*Stefan.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-05-27 15:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor Error

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search