Creating translations: 'failed to locate SKL file'
Thread poster: lcr24
lcr24
lcr24
Local time: 19:16
French to English
+ ...
Apr 19, 2008

When I try to create a translation in SDL Edit, I get the following error message: 'failed to locate SKL file'. Is anyone familiar with this problem? It used to work fine, but has recently stopped working.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks

Louise

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Create the SDL Edit file again Apr 21, 2008

lcr24 wrote:

When I try to create a translation in SDL Edit, I get the following error message: 'failed to locate SKL file'. Is anyone familiar with this problem? It used to work fine, but has recently stopped working.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks

Louise

Hi Louise,

You already have the translation in the TM, so you have to create the SDL Edit file again and apply your TM. There must have been an error when the SDL Edit file was generated the first time.

HTH

Piotr

lcr24
lcr24
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using TM Apr 21, 2008

Many thanks Piotr.

However, I haven't been using a TM file for this translation, so I'm not quite sure what you mean? Apologies for ignorance, I am only familiar with applying TM created by someone else who previously worked on the same project.

Louise

lcr24
lcr24
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Apr 25, 2008

Hi, for anyone else experiencing the same problem, I have come to the conclusion that it may be due to the version of Windows I'm using.

I recently updated my Windows XP Pack 1 to Pack 2, and suspect that SDL Edit does not support the 'create translation' function in later versions of Windows. (It doesn't support Help either.)

However, I've discovered that copying and pasting the translated text works well enough for emergencies!

Malcolm Rowe
Malcolm Rowe
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
French to English
+ ...
Create a TM from the ITD file Feb 7, 2011

I guess this is a bit late for the original questioner, but if you have an ITD file and you're working with a full version of SDLX (probably not with a Lite edition) you can create a new TM from the ITD file, and then, as suggested by Piotr, create a new ITD file from the source file, to which you apply the TM just created.

This will then need to be checked, especially if you have translated any repeated segment in more than one way due to context, or if you have merged or separated
... See more
I guess this is a bit late for the original questioner, but if you have an ITD file and you're working with a full version of SDLX (probably not with a Lite edition) you can create a new TM from the ITD file, and then, as suggested by Piotr, create a new ITD file from the source file, to which you apply the TM just created.

This will then need to be checked, especially if you have translated any repeated segment in more than one way due to context, or if you have merged or separated any segments.

This process should work with SDLX 2006 and 2007 and I think it worked with 2005.

To create the new TM go into the translation memory drop-down menu and select New...
Then select Microsoft Access as the type of memory (SQL Server type is more complicated and may require you to have additional software installed).
Give it a name and location.
Add a User name and ID when requested.
You will now have an empty TM open within SDL Edit and this needs to be updated with the content of the ITD.
Make sure all translated segments are confirmed and that the ITD is saved
Click on the translation memory drop-down menu and select Update.
After a few seconds/minutes you should have a TM containing all the translated translation units from the ITD.

Create a new ITD from the source file, ensuring that you keep the same language pairs (if not you can fiddle around with this using SDLX Utilities but better to get it right first time).
Open the new ITD and open the new TM from its SDL Edit window.
Select Apply from the Translation Memory menu.
Don't worry about the "Do you wish to delete the entire existing translation" question as there are no existing translations.
Set the percentage matches to 100% or high nineties.
Choose whether to check or uncheck "copy source if no translation exists" (blank spaces are easier to notice than text left in your source language, but you can use the goto function to find any untranslated segments or fuzzy matches anyway).
Finally, click OK.
You should now have an ITD with all (or almost all) your translations (anything missing can probably be amended by merging or splitting segments), but you will have to check through for any context problems.

I hope this is helpful.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating translations: 'failed to locate SKL file'

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »