Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Sweden
Local time: 12:11
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
Apr 21, 2008

Hello,

I have installed my Trados 2007 on a new computer with Open Office. The program demands Microsoft Word for some functions and does not recognize the Open Office Document Writer. I do not dare to start new projects until I am sure that Trados works properly in this environment.

What problems can appear? Is ir possible to use Trados installed in combination with Open Office anyway? I do not have any experience of that.

Thanks,
Ieva

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
MS Office 2003 or 2007 Apr 21, 2008

Trados does not work with OO-modules or formats. You can save documents from inside writer or calculator in MS-compatible formats (rtf, doc, xls). These you can translate in Trados Tageditor, if you have MS Windows on your computer.

You do not need MS Office for using TRados or SDLX. But the documents have to be in MS-formats.

OmegaT is a free translation environment for Open office.
Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2008-04-21 07:17]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
unzip Apr 21, 2008

AFAIK, OO files are just "renamed zips files" - if you rename the extension to ".zip", you can get the content as a xml file. There used to be instructions for this workflow somewhere on the net...

HTH
Antonin

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
sdl trados 2007 supposedly supports openoffice Apr 21, 2008

at least according to the 'file format' section on this page: http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/
i don't have trados 2k7 so i couldn't confirm.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
OpenOffice files will open.. Apr 21, 2008

... in Trados TagEditor. MS Office not required for that.

Caveat: TagEditor tends to be rather slow with OpenOffice files.

If you want to work with OpenOffice files, Swordfish (a new CAT) is better and it also supports Trados formats (TTX, Workbench RTF), if your clients require these formats.

Regards,

Piotr

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Trados TagEditor is said to support OOo formats. Apr 21, 2008

Check their site.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Open Office Formats Apr 21, 2008

Hello Everyone,

SDL Trados 2007 supports the Open Office formats.

However, it is not possible to use Translators Workbench and the Open Office Document Writer together.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

reneewriter
reneewriter
South Korea
English to Korean
Translator's Workbench Advance instruction Apr 21, 2008

I found the following contents from Translator's Workbench Advanced instruction.

Translator’s Workbench and TagEditor
For the purposes of interactive translation, you can choose from a range of editing environments that are compatible with Translator’s Workbench. Each editing environment includes the standard translation interface with Translator’s Workbench and term recognition using SDL MultiTerm 2007.

TagEditor is a specialized application designed for
... See more
I found the following contents from Translator's Workbench Advanced instruction.

Translator’s Workbench and TagEditor
For the purposes of interactive translation, you can choose from a range of editing environments that are compatible with Translator’s Workbench. Each editing environment includes the standard translation interface with Translator’s Workbench and term recognition using SDL MultiTerm 2007.

TagEditor is a specialized application designed for translating and editing tagged text files. .

TagEditor provides direct support for the following file formats:
Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT, PPTX, PPS, POT)
Microsoft Excel (XLS, XLSX, XLT)
Microsoft Word (DOC, DOCX, RTF)
OpenOffice (including StarOffice• )
Collapse

Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Sweden
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you.. May 9, 2008

..very much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and Open Office?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »