Incorrect encoding of translated .properties file
Thread poster: Pavel Lyakhovsky

Pavel Lyakhovsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:37
Member (2006)
English to Russian
Apr 23, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I have started working on a number of .properties files (English to Russian). I import a file into TagEditor, translate it and export it back (using 'Save target as...').

The problem is that when I open the exported file (they are in fact text files and can be opened in Notepad for example) I see something like this:

101.message=\u041D\u0435\u0432\u043E\u0437\u043C\u043E\u0436\u043D\u043E u0441\u043E\u0445\u0440\u0430\u043D\u0438\u0442\u044C \u0441\u0432\u043E\u0439\u0441\u0442\u0432\u0430

I.e. I see some codes instead of Russian text. I suspect that the files are exported in a wrong encoding. Their source encoding is CP-1252 (Western) and I need them in CP-1251 (Cyrillic Windows).

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.


 

Mickey Argaman  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Encoding Apr 23, 2008

Hi,

I had the same problem few months ago, and solved it out:
1. Download SC Unipad at http://www.sharmahd.com/cgi/download?file=upsetup_exe
2. Open the exported files with SC Unipad
3. Save As... and choose the right encoding.
4. Open the "new" file in notepad to make sure everything is ok.

Good luck!


 

Pavel Lyakhovsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:37
Member (2006)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent! Apr 23, 2008

Thank you very much Mickey! It works!

 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:37
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
DON'T do that, unless your client explicitely requires! Apr 23, 2008

What you see is allright, there's nothing wrong, it's standard presentation of Unicode characters used by Java and some other environments. Deliver it exactly as they are.

 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:37
English to Polish
This IS correct encoding Apr 23, 2008

This is correct encoding. .properties files are always ascii files, all diacritic marks are unicode-escaped, as you could see in your file.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect encoding of translated .properties file

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search