TRADOS error : "La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet"
Thread poster: schevallier
schevallier
schevallier  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
English to French
+ ...
Apr 23, 2008

Good evening,

I just purchased and installed Trados SDLX 2007 software.
Apparently the installation went well, but, when I first tried to launch it, I got the following message : "La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet".
When I click "OK" the message disappears. Nevertheless, if I click on "new project", I get this message again.
I just don't seem to be able to get rid of it, nor to solve the problem which I cannot pinpoint...
H
... See more
Good evening,

Apparently the installation went well, but, when I first tried to launch it, I got the following message : "La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet".
When I click "OK" the message disappears. Nevertheless, if I click on "new project", I get this message again.
I just don't seem to be able to get rid of it, nor to solve the problem which I cannot pinpoint...
Help anyone...?

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Synergy error? Apr 23, 2008

schevallier wrote:

Good evening,

Help anyone...?

Ben.... c' est ça?

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=1634&n=10&s=1

Amitiés
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Refreshing and patching... Apr 27, 2008

schevallier wrote:

Good evening,

In fact, you may live without Synergy, the most important is the interoperation between Workbench and MultiTerm.

Help anyone...?

PREPARATION

SDLT has two extremely vulnerable points, i.e.:
- .Net Framework
- Java
The handling of both components is scandalous.
SDLT behaves as nothing else exist on your PC (e.g. you have a perfectly fresh PC just waiting for the SDL Wonder) and don't checks a lot of dependencies.
So, the install may assume all is OK but the software itself is unable to connect the proper version of runtime modules.
BTW
The guys obstinately don’t fix the bugs they produce, e.g. the Java bug is still the same from Trados 5.x (i.e. from 2001).

So, the first step is to create a "fresh” environment:
- deregister SDLT (important because of the license)
- uninstall SDLT
- delete all the SDL related folders on your PC (e.g., for XP, take a look on the “Program Files” and “Documents and Setings”)
- uninstall ALL the Java you have on your PC
- uninstall all the .Net on your PC (start by the higher ones)
Yes, I know it may mess up another software.
If you are lazy, you may preserve the .Net Framework 1.0 and 1.x but the 2 and 3 should be uninstalled (the Synergy installation program is simply stupid, sometimes it can’t use the existing .Net Framework 2 and crashes) .
Restart.

INSTALL

The SDLT 2007 SP2 - MT 2007 SP1 is an extremely messy combo.
Some libraries in both components are different, e.g . the version tradosbasis.dll in the MT is still 8.0.0.xxx , SDLT has 8.2.xxx, so it may result incompatible in some mysterious situations.

If possible, you should start with the initial SDLT 2007 and MT 2007 versions ‘cause they share the same libraries (e.g. Java .1.5.10) and the install is rather clean.
I hope you may download it from SDL (or get from a friend).
Install MT
Install SDLT
Offer a black rooster.
Check SDLT and MT interoperation (the terminology recognition should work)
Reboot.
(In some very hard cases, I go back to SDLT 2006 and install first Java 1.4.08 and a fresh copy of .Net framework 1.1, I imagine something may be hardcoded in the MT and SDLT packages).

PATCH

Install the patches (SDLT 2007 SP2 and MT 2007 SP2) instead of the full packages.
Offer a black goat.
Check SDLT and MT interoperation (the terminology recognition should work)
Run al the MT and SDLT modules.
Check Synergy.

Patch and/or install newer .Net Frameworks
Patch and/or install newer Java.

Quite intuitive?

Unfortunately, it may work or not.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS error : "La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »