convert a ttx file to its original format or a ttx file without tags
Thread poster: eva_Torreira
eva_Torreira
Local time: 10:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 25, 2008

Hello everybody,

I have to translate two manual chapters and as reference material I have received the other chapters pre-translated as ttx files.
It would be very hepful if I could convert them to the target source as ttx or any other format, so there wouldn't be any information about tags and segments, that is, to convert it in an easy readable file.
I have tried to clean the ttx file using workbench and the save target as option in tag editor, but I still get all the annoying tag and segment information.

Thank you very much for your help

Eva

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Version? Format? Apr 25, 2008

When you posted this topic, the forum system asked you to provide certain details:

When asking for help, make sure that you:

• indicate the file format(s) involved
  • specify each software package that is relevant to your posting, identifying the version with the *full* version number
  • describe the step(s) or process(es) which have triggered the problem.

This will help others to help you.

So, if you would kindly provide those, we should be able to help you better. Thank you very much.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Wildcards... Apr 25, 2008

eva_Torreira wrote:

I have to translate two manual chapters and as reference material I have received the other chapters pre-translated as ttx files.
It would be very hepful if I could convert them to the target source as ttx or any other format, so there wouldn't be any information about tags and segments, that is, to convert it in an easy readable file.
I have tried to clean the ttx file using workbench and the save target as option in tag editor, but I still get all the annoying tag and segment information.

Open the ttx in notepad.
Copy and Paste to Word.

Edit, Search and Replace.
More
Check "Use wildcards"

Find what:
\<ut*ut>

Replace with:
(leave empty)

Replace all.

Save as txt, encoding UTF-8.
Change the extension to ttx.

It should get rid of most annoying tags.

Of course, you may use a decent programmer's editor instead of the Notepad-Word combo.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-04-25 11:18]

eva_Torreira
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useof wordpad to remove tags Apr 25, 2008

I have tried what you suggested and it removed part of the tags, but it is still quite unreadable. Anyway, thank you very much for your help...

And about the other question I use Trados Freelance 7.0

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
There are other options Apr 25, 2008

You can clean the files into an empty memory, export this memory to tmx (level 1 if you want to strip it of tags), and open it, say, in Oliphant - which is for free at http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Antonin

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Plugin again Apr 25, 2008

I'll just repeat what I said in the other topic, so that anyone interested might catch it here too:

There is a little known function of TagEditor - TradosTag Viewer Plugin (I am not sure from version, though). You have to activate it in the Tools/Plugins dialog and set its properties (I suppose HTML or Table View would be appropriate).

When you do that, click on the Preview tab at the bottom of the screen and your ttx file will be saved and previewed as HTML - without the tags (if you turn them off) and in a much more readable form.

The plugin uses predefined templates, but if you know how to handle CSS, you can output the file in any form you desire.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

convert a ttx file to its original format or a ttx file without tags

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search