Making changes with Trados
Thread poster: David Howard

David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
French to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2008

This may be a very simple question, or may well have been covered before, but it I want to go back over document and make changes (having used Trados). Is there a way I can get Trados to make the same changes throughout the document?

Thanks in advance,

David

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No Apr 26, 2008

You have to search and replace manually. In SDLX editor you have auto-propagate function, changing one segment will update segments further down. But not Trados.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
AndoTools Apr 26, 2008

David Howard wrote:
Is there a way I can get Trados to make the same changes throughout the document?

If it's an uncleaned file, then I believe AndoTools has a function with which you can do it (but I've never used it myself).

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:56
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Use Maintain function in TWB Apr 26, 2008

Is there a way I can get Trados to make the same changes throughout the document?

I assume you would like to change automatically target text for given occurrences in the source?

I use maintain function in TWB for it. Lets say you want to change " cat " to " dog " in the English target segments for all (French) source segments with " chien " (I know, my French is not what it used to be...)

In maintain you ask for all segments with *chien*, then specify the changes (cat to dog) to be made. Of course it goes much farther than that. It is one great indispensable function, allowing me to propagate corrections (etymological, grammatical, you name it) on the spot through the TM.

Of course once it is done, you need to pretranslate your document or documents. Then everything is in sync and corrected as required.

[Edited at 2008-04-26 21:12]

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So Trados won't really be able to do it for me? Apr 26, 2008

Excuse my ignorance, but is TWB a different piece of software? If so (as for Ando tools and SDLX editor) can I 'plug' these in as it were, without having to by the software seperately?

Thanks again,

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 06:56
English to Spanish
Hey David... Apr 26, 2008

You sure can if your document is currently unclean. Do the changes you wish, and then clean it over with Trados. That way, your translation memory will be updated.

If the document is clean already, after making the changes you can use WinAlign and produce a new translation memory which you'll import to your Trados Translator's Workbench (TWB), that is, your translation memory.

That's it.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Two steps Apr 27, 2008

You either have an uncleaned doc in Word, which has been translated using the Trados plug-in and Worbench (WB), or you have a bilingual document in Tageditor (TE).
First you have to apply the changes to the translated segments in your unclean or bilingual document. Every segment where the changes should take place must be changed either using search and replace - replace or replace all.
After that you must get the changes to your TM, which is loaded into WB. If you have a Word-doc, you can use the cleanup-function in WB, in TE I use Translate to fuzzy (Alt+ *) and at every place, where the function stops, I confirm the changed TU with Alt++.

Even if you have two identical source segments and open the first segment, apply a change and proceed to the next instance, Trados will not apply the change unless you manually change also the second segment. Once a segment is translated, the TU-pair stays fixed until you change it. In SDLX the software will update the rest of the document automatically.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 28, 2008

Thanks Heinrich

That's most helpful. As you can probably tell, I'm quite new to Trados. I'll go through the steps you've suggested n see how I go. Because I had to get the translation in, I ended up going though each segment in the unclean file, making the changes manually.

Thanks again,
David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making changes with Trados

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search