SDLX fails to start in Dual OS
Thread poster: hyjwonder

hyjwonder  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 26, 2008

Hi,

I am playing with computer. It is alright with Single OS (Windows XP SP2 Chinese in Drive C) to run SDLX, but once I installed another OS (Windows XP SP2 English, Drive F) and it becomes dual OS, SDLX fails to start in either OS... even after I uninstall the other one...Can anyone tell me why? Do I really need to format it to restore a single OS environment?

Thanks in advance!

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:39
French to Polish
+ ...
Probably some hardcoded paths... Apr 27, 2008

hyjwonder wrote:

I am playing with computer. It is alright with Single OS (Windows XP SP2 Chinese in Drive C) to run SDLX, but once I installed another OS (Windows XP SP2 English, Drive F) and it becomes dual OS, SDLX fails to start in either OS... even after I uninstall the other one... Can anyone tell me why?

Unlike Trados, SDLX was never intended to permit several versions installed simultaneously on the same PC (or rather operating system).
In this case, as the programming at SDL is rather messy, I suppose some path and module names and locations may be hardcoded (e.g. C: drive or default to the to the first drive letter where the a Windows folder structure installation is spotted).
In this case, incorrect (incoherent) dependent dll's may be loaded in an unexpected way.

Do I really need to format it to restore a single OS environment?

Probably yes.

Never play with your production computericon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX fails to start in Dual OS

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search